SMER Kits

I have seen a lot of comments on the web that SMER kits are low tech and poor quality. IMHO this is an over reaction. Almost finished a SMER Avia BH-11 and it is an easy kit to work with.
Some small fiddly parts and very soft plastic are the only drawbacks noted. Not a lot of detail but hey, it only cost 4.83 Euros plus about 2.25 Euros shipping as part of a larger order. A much better kit than some I have been inflicted with.
Tony Chch NZ

It depends on which kit. Smer reboxes kits, a lot being oll Heller releases, but still are pretty good kits.
eyeball wrote:

Some of those reboxes go all the way back to Artiplast and Merit. I wouldn't turn one down. They can be more fun than the newest 500 piece Whizbang.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Agreed, I THINK that the problem is that some of the molds that Smer uses are old and getting worn out, which leads to flash and fit problems.

But oddly enough their decals on the new re-re-issues are very good. You get the classic old Inpact/Pyro/Lindberg Bulldog and the Smer decal for their Merit reissue, and you get a pretty good starting point.
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 03:50:52 -0700 (PDT), The Old Man

I had no fit issue with the kit but there was some flash on the rear (clear) screen. Pic posted to binary group soon
Tony

their walrus is really easy to detail and mod. it looks like a walrus, too. i'm doing the yellow aussie on end rigging is is pretty simple.
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 14:27:39 GMT, " snipped-for-privacy@some.domain"

I have their Bulldog and Macchi MC200 to build and will certainly be getting more. Decals are good but I found they had to be perfectly aligned at first contact as I could not move them after.

thanks, i haven't used their kit decals but will on one of the walrus'. i've found that pactras clear stuff forms the correct shape for the wire cross connector things. the canopy is kind of thick, but may look of. i may also see if my ca walrus canopy fits. they include 2 anyway.