Speaking of P-47s...

I've been thoroughly reading the P-47 articles in the past two SAMi's and one thing struck me. The 56th FG seems to have been very inventive in their use of paint. I get the feeling that no P-47 in the group was plain ol' Olive Drab over Neutral Grey. How'd they work around Army regs like that?

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

same goes with bomber nose art? some of that stuff was pretty risque for the time.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

In the Spring of 1944 the U.S. Army Air Force decided that camouflage wasn't really worth the weight and cost and hassle of painting and did away with it. When all these bright metal aircraft began arriving in Europe not all unit commanders agreed. The 56th was a "Hot Outfit" and it's commanders were able to get away with quite a bit, but even some of the other groups did some painting. When U.S. paints were no longer available in the supply system resourceful supply and maintenance officers did some artful trading with their R.A.F. counterparts which is why some units ended up painted with British colors. Some people still insist that "Gabby: Gabreski's last P-47 was in British Ocean Gray and Dark Green. Let the arguments begin.....

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey