Special colour schemes

Do you like special colour schemes?

The Luftwaffe certainly seems to like 'em. All the kits available for German F-4s seem to have a special anniversary scheme of some description. None of them have normal line jets.

Would you prefer to build an anniversary scheme? Perhaps something with lots of tiger stripes, a Spitfire silhouette painted over the wings or a topless Amazon warrior on the fin. Maybe when building a US Navy aircraft, you always go for the CAG jet.

Or would you, like me, much prefer an ordinary drab everyday line jet?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

was there ever a tiger meet starfighter?

Yeah- the old Monogram kit had decals for a tiger-striped 104- very cool.

Reply to
Jim Atkins

There are some gorgeous Italian tiger/fighter meet schemes for the F104, and decals to go with. Oh, Canadian and German as well, with decals easily available.

-- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

know of any pics? it must be cool.

RoG seems to shoot these out every few months or so--look for the Tormados or F16's with a "superdecal" advertised.

Reply to
tomcervo

There were at least these:

As far as I remember, Belcher, Cutting Edge and Tauromodel made decals for most of them.

Reply to
Luca Beato

coolness. thanks

thank you.

Nope. That's not to say that I especially care for _special_ schemes, but I do like colorful airplanes.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Did a google and found this cool site:

And here's an interesting decal sheet in 1/48; I'm sure it or something similar is available in 1/72:

Now if you can get a better picture of this:

Have fun... because starfighters in cool livery is a mine with a very deep shaft and rich vein!!

--- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Saluti Luca; it's been a long time since we talked! I hope all is well with you. I'm busy as hell with work and doing an A20 to DB7 conversion in time for the US nationals\s in Kansas City. I should finish (fingers crossed)

See you -- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Cheers,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

Put me down for the service versions. I think I've only ever done one 'Special' and that was the CF-104 Red Indian.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Esci also had an F-104 in 1/72 in Tiger Meet markings. They moulded the kit in yellow plastic. Aarrrgh! Want one?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I've always had a strong preference for anonymous squadron machines in schemes typical of the aircraft. This doesn't mean that I don't like colourful aircraft but there are plenty of colourful schemes without going in for specials. I don't much like aces' aircraft either. This is not because I don't respect the pilots' achievements; it's just that I prefer anonymous, representative examples where possible.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

I'm totally with you. I really dislike special paint schemes to be more precise. Can't give a good reason for it. Perhaps it's the idea that I could as well start building civil aircraft instead of my usual diet of military aircraft. No special schemes for me, definitely.

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:
AQM-34 site:

Rob de Bie

For me it depends on the jet and if I already have a drab or two on the shelf. F-104's I like in specials and the odd Phantom now and then. Some USN CAG birds are OK too but I prefer the old lo-viz on most of them.

Reply to
Ron Smith

I like to build variations on a theme. As I type this, I am looking at a line of five Hawker Hunters on my display shelf. They are all ordinary squadron jets and are all in the same colour scheme. Yet the markings are all different and the effect is both subtle and fascinating. I'd much prefer to see that than five models of similar aircraft in vastly different special schemes.

Having served on a squadron, I also associate special schemes with an awful lot of unnecessary hard work. The special jet always had to be kept absolutely spotless, just in case it had to go to an airshow or a high-profile landaway. It was probably just coincidence, but it always seemed to me that the powers that be chose the jet with the worst maintenance record for the special scheme. Not only did it have to be kept spotless, but it always took a lot more effort to get the damn thing to actually fly! In my experience, the jet in the special scheme was always hated!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

If it weren't for the fancy colorful birds I probably wouldn't be modeling any more. I really like the more colorful birds. Since I build exclusively in 1/72nd, the multiple builds don't quite eat a whole house full of space either.

I have 93 finished Phantoms and have pretty much switched to Hornets for the last year or so. Have 18 done and another three in work. All are either CAG birds or special markings. Several Canadian as they did some really spectacular anniversary birds for a while.

The only problem I have is trying to keep up with the new F-18 schemes. Seems like almost every week another neat one shows up.

I am also the odd man out with the releases of the Hasegawa kits with new markings. All the griping about the "tired, overpriced, worn out etc." re-releases does not bother me at all. Every time they release another one with interesting markings it is another one I can build.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Filer