su 12 & the 189

were the russians influenced by the 189?

Was the Northrop P-61 influenced by the 189 ??

Form follows functi> were the russians influenced by the 189?

Reply to
Ken Duffey

the p-61? doubt it. but the su and 189 were both recon.

I meant in layout rather than role - twin radials, twin boom etc.

I suppose if you want recon and the best view you need a large 'greenhouse' - and a view to the rear, hence the twin booms.

According to 'OKB Sukhoi' from Midland Counties.....

On the Su-12

"This shape was a novelty for the Sukhoi Design Bureau. Near the end of

1943 a three-seat, observation aircraft of the same layout was designed but it was smaller and powered by less powerful ASh-62 engines. The designers did not get approval for the manufacture of this a/c.

The twin boom configuration was of great interest because of the successful operation of the German Focke-Wulf 189 twin-boom reconnaissance a/c during WWII. One Fw-189 a/c had been captured by the Soviets and flight tested in the NII VVS."

So I guess you are right - the layout of the Fw-189 'inspired' the Su-12.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Duffey
189 what?
Reply to
frank may

Focke Wulf Fw.189 reconnaissance bird.

The Old Timer

i do. can't wait till i'm good enough to build the 1/48. i've built 4 of the airfix, everytime a friend sees it, they want it. the price? yep, another kit.

Glad they didn't find the Bv 141B inspiring.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller