TBF/TBM Avengers in Japanese Markings?

I'm looking to do something a little unusual and I recalled seeing a photo of an Avenger in Japanese markings. This was when the Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force used them after WW II. I've Googled for photos of Avengers in Japanese markings and wasn't able to come up with any hits. Anybody know where I might find some photos of Japanese Avengers?

Thanks,

Martin

Reply to
The Collector

I have an old book (I can't tell the actual title, as the book is in Japanese...my best guess is 50 Years of Japanese Aviation) that has a photo of two JMSDF Avengers in formation. One is a TBM-3S in what looks to be overall light gray with a black anti-glare panel ahead of the cockpit. The other is a TBM-3W in overall glossy sea blue. Both aircraft have oversized 3-digit buzz codes on the cowlings, and 4-digit serials on the tail, prefixed with the katakana symbol "Ka" (for Kai, "Sea") and a hyphen. There are also the usual Japanese kanji JMSDF slogans on the rear fuselages and white-edged hinomaru on the fuselages and wing positions. The -3W aircraft's markings are included as a choice from the High Planes 1/72nd scale conversion kit.

According to warbirdregistry.org, there are three preserved JMSDF Avengers, but they don't have photos of any of them in their database. Stephen Bierce

Reply to
Stephen Bierce

I have a few good photos, drawings in the MAI files.

Drop me a line and I'll see what I can do.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

(Tateyama, Chiba prefecture)
(Kure, Kure city)

(see link to TBM-3. opens window with 2 TBMs flying, one white, one blue)

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

I thought "Kai" meant "modified".

Reply to