Tool for monofilament rigging

Some of us use nylon monofilament thread for rigging. One of the neat features is that you can apply heat to it after it is fastened in place, and it will shrink and become more taut.

The problem has been how to heat it. Some folks use a blown-out match, some a heated knife blade. I used a soldering iron. But distance was critical. Too close and you melt or break the thread, too far and nothing happens.

The latest Fine Scale Modeler has a tip about using an "embossing gun" to heat styrene before bending. This sounded like it might be useful for heating rigging thread. I went to my local Michael's craft store and found one. It sells for twenty five bucks, but I had one of their frequent discount coupons so it cost me about half that.

It works well. It is smaller than a blow dryer, and the air velocity is considerably less. Still pretty hot air, but I have not broken any rigging threads yet. Don't know why they call it a "gun" because it is not gun-shaped- it is a straight tube.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

on 5/4/2008 12:24 PM Don Stauffer in Minnesota said the following:

I have one of those torchier lamps. The one with the 5" long halogen bulb, that they warn you not to put near drapes or other flammable objects. I turn it on and hold the model about 6" above the bulb... with work gloves on! The filament tightens right up.

Reply to
willshak

Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote in news:b243f980- snipped-for-privacy@m45g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Either is a howitzer, but it's still a gun, because it projects its contents at its target.

cd

Reply to
Carl Dershem

a cigarette works best. but do it outdoors and don't smoke!

Reply to
someone

Better idea; use Tippet line (a fly fishing leader material) as it's stretchy. That way you don't need to heat it at all. In fact, I don't even measure mine... I just cut it roughly to length, then stretch it to fit. Works like a charm.

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni