Airfix Fulmar

Hannants are listing a 1/72 Fairey Fulmar from Airfix. Does anyone know anything about this kit?

I don't remember a Fulmar in Airfix's catalogue back in the day. Is this a new mould rather than a re-pop? I don't recall anyone doing a 1/72 Fulmar that could be re-popped.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

It's a re-pop of Vista (also in Revell AG guise) kit from 1990-es.

Reply to
Vedran Kalamiza

Revell produced a 1/72 Fulmar, with, I think, a yellow fin. I don't recall the original source though; maybe it was Revell?

Regards

Pat Macguire

Reply to
P & H Macguire

As others have posted, odds are it's the Vista kit, also reissued by Revell. It's a very good kit, the only flaw I recall reading about being wheels with the wrong number of "spokes". This was apparently because the kit designers went to the FAA Museum, where the Fulmar MkI on display was fitted with MkII wheels during its restoration, and they reproduced what they saw. It's too bad Vista only released this one kit - at the time, they were intending to do a range of FAA types. Not many kit manufacturers seem to be willing to go and take actual measurements from a surviving example of the real aircraft in order to try to make the kit as accurate as possible, regardless of what happened with the wheels.

IIRC, there is (or used to be) a vacuformed canopy available for it from Pavla, and also a photoetch set from Airwaves. If you're concerned about the wheels, I *think* the problem can be solved by substituting the ones from a Heller or other Hawker Tempest, but I'd have to dig a bit to confirm that - I don't recall off the top of my head whether the correct number of spokes is 4 or 5.

John

Reply to
jthmpson

Thanks to all who answered. I think I can just about live with the wrong number of spokes on the wheels. :-D Anyroad, from what I've read it would be a very minor matter to convert a MkI to a MkII.

I'll give this one a try. I think I owe it to the Fulmar. Thirty years ago I tried to build a Rareplanes vacform kit of this aircraft and I made a right pig's ear of it.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Word is that it's a reissue of the Vista/Smer kit.

Cheers,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

Agree. Outstanding for the time, and very good now. Vista decals were Victorious 1941 and Torch US stars.

This canopy was the first and only one with "textured" frames instead of smooth--meant to hold paint better, vital on this greenhouse of a plane. And you may still have the Rareplanes canopy!

Reply to
tomcervo

On May 4, 5:31=C2=A0pm, tomcervo wrote:> On May 4,

12:39=EF=BF=BDpm, snipped-for-privacy@arvotek.net

Pegasus also has a pretty good Fulmar Mk.I/II and Special Hobby a Mk.I coming, if it isn't already out. There was another pretty good example from Pegasus, a rotten vacuform from Airmodel and a nice cast resin example from Czech Mastrer. Of course there was also the Merlin kit :-) Falcon Clear-Vax also has a Fulmar canopy. Aeroclub offers a three port exhaust set, Merlin engine and Rotol Prop/ Spinner set, Dunlop Balloon Tires/Wheels set and Main/Tail Wheels/ Tires set for the Fulmar. Most of the after-market sets were designed for the Rareplane kit, but should do just fine for the Vista kit. Tom

Reply to
maiesm72