Are we our own worst enemy?

Having looked at the Hannants site, I see that the re-issues of the Airfix Gloster Gladiator and TBD-1 Devastator are at No 5 and No 10 in the charts respectively.

These moulds must be 40 years old. I doubt if they have been modified in any way whatsoever, yet here they are as some of the most popular buys. I must admit that I wouldn't mind buyng these two kits again.

If Airfix simply re-pop 40 year old kits without any modification and we modellers simply go ahead and buy them, are we acting as our own worst enemy? There is no incentive for Airfix to improve the moulds or maybe make a new tool. On the other hand, if we *don't* buy these kits, in an attempt to force Airfix to re-tool them, are we in danger of sending Airfix into receivership again?

Please note that I am not complaining about Airfix re-popping old kits. I'd rather have an Airfix doing that than no Airfix at all. And I'm pretty certain that I'm going to buy that TBD kit. It's a quarter of the price of the equivalent Valom kits. Okay, so it's going to need a lot of work, but I'm supposed to be a modeller...

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Enzo Matrix said the following on 09/05/2008 10:07:

I agree with you there. I bet they are being watched very closely with how they manage the purse strings in a market that is a bit thinner than it used to be. Maybe they'll end up making new mobile phone covers and Wii handheld designs, to make ends meet! ;-)

How about asking them to run a competition to produce a new set of moulds with cost of entry being 5 quid?

With the 25 quid they get from that should help and the winner gets the first kit off the press.

Seriously, I don't know of too many people who have written to a company with an idea then got a new product in return (as I did from Airfix all those decades ago)?

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Ooh! Tell us more!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I suspect that they are repoping old kits to raise some cash to make new molds. As long as they keep slipping in new releases along with the repops, I'm OK with it.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

When I was about 13 I think it was HMS Cossack that I'd bought and got bored of the stands that everything had so I wrote asking about any plans for a water diorama. I forgot all about it then some months later I received through the post, a moulding of sea with a full hull recess to fit the ship into!

I'd only recently revitalised that idea by buying moulding materials from Alec Tiranti and am pleased with the results so far.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

All the companies have to do is scan eBay on a weekly basis. There are plenty of ancient/old kits that are still in demand and drawing more money than the new high tech kits. The ABC Company may view this and decided to start re-popping the old kit. The XYZ Company may see this as a market opportunity to make a new kit of the same subject.

RobG

Reply to
RobG

I for one am glad to see them return, since I am into nostalgia building and am on a budget. High end expensive kits are pretty rare for me. But I also hope that they raise enough cash to turn out new kits for those who want them. And I think that's the idea.

Reply to
eyeball

both the airfix and the lindberg take a bit of work but you can get a nice glad from both. more interior on the lindberg and 3 piece glass.

Reply to
someone

i hope so too. love airfix

Reply to
someone

Hey dude!

Picked up a Lindberg 1/72 Sikorsky Sea King yesterday. Knowing that you like Lindberg I thought that you may have use of one.

Yes? No?

Let me know either way.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

yes! tell me what you need, tom. i'll take that like grant took richmond, well, politely. thanks!

Reply to
someone

Yeahbut... In all honesty, the Lindberg Glad started life as Inpact (Britain), thence to Pyro, then Life-Like. Linfberg didn't make these molds, they bought 'em!

Reply to
The Old Man

you're right! i even have a life line with the dry tranfer decals....duh. still a nice kit.

Reply to
someone

Lindberg has a TBD? I'm pretty sure they have a TBF but didn't know about the other.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I should read farther down the thread. Duh.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

i believe he meant airfix, bill. i don't think lindberg has one either. see the latest lindbeg press blurb? some nice reissues including 1/72. the fw190 is there though it has such a long snoot i could think it's a ta.

Reply to
someone

it's been a duh day, doo dah.

Reply to
someone

I got my TBDs and Gladiators crossed.

Nope. Where'd you find them?

I know it is beefier than the old Airfix 190D. My first one taught me lots about weathering and panel lines. It was a successful experiment, in that way.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I see that the Gladiator is now at number 2. Airfix must be pleased!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

the send out a newsletter, go to the website and sign up. they don't soam you to death.

Reply to
someone