Royal Scot by Airfix -- was it reissued by anyone else?

Subject says it all.

Are there any Royal Scots available?

Friendw w/o 'net wants to know. (He doesn't have a phone, either.)

Thanks.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Maybe he should buy the odd Railway Modeller, meanwhile try

You have chooice of rebuilt or parallel boiler versions. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:-

There are two in the curent Bachmann catalogue (which doesn't guarantee they are actually available). They are:-

31-282 Parallel Boiler Scott 46151 'The Royal Horse Guardman' and 31-228 Rebuilt Scott 46141 'The North Staffordshire Regiment'

both in BR Green with early emblem. I assume these are ex-Airfix/ex-mainline models.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

They are the Mainline models with a newer Bachmann chassis. The Airfix one was a rebuilt version with a tender drive. Unsold stocks were repackaged by Dapol after Airfix was acquired by Palitoy (Mainline). It probably is a contender for the shortest production run of any OO loco

Mike Parkes snipped-for-privacy@mphgate.removetoreply demon.co.uk

Reply to
Mike Parkes

The LMS crimson version named 'Royal Scot' was produced as a limited editon (500 pieces, wooden presentation box - I think) by Bachmann a few years back. These ocasionally appear on ebay and go around the £100 mark.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas

According to Ramsay's British Model Trains catalogue, 3rd Edition, there were 47 models in OO gauge;

02 Airfix 15 Bachmann 07 Dapol 08 Mainline 15 Wrenn
Reply to
John Willumsen

The 7 Dapol ones were reboxed 5 Mainline versions and the 2 Airfix versions.

Mike Parkes snipped-for-privacy@mphgate.removetoreply demon.co.uk

Reply to
Mike Parkes

"Mike Parkes" wrote They are the Mainline models with a newer Bachmann chassis. The Airfix one was a rebuilt version with a tender drive. Unsold stocks were repackaged by Dapol after Airfix was acquired by Palitoy (Mainline). It probably is a contender for the shortest production run of any OO loco

Ah, This could well be the excellent time to ask what I have been meaning to for ages....

From the old Airfix range, we know some when to Dapol-then-Hornby, and some went to Bachmann. (was there anyone inbetween? and where does replica fit in?) Which models went where? What is still around and which (if any) have vanished....?

Were the DMUS (150's etc), Cls 56 and J94 Dapol designed?

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

"Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept."

Gulp - here goes:- In the beginning (1976) we had Mainline (Palitoy) and Airfix. Mainlines own models were made by Kader who retained the rights to the tooling. Airfix owned their toolings.

Airfix then went bust and was acquired by Palitoy, but the finished or part finished railway products in the Airfix warehouse were acquired by the firm that later became known as Dapol.

Palitoy released some of the Airfix items in the Mainline range including some which had not reached release under Airfix.

Palitoys owners General Mills then pull out of the European toy and model market. Dapol again acquire what is in the Mainline warehouse plus the owned tools (ex Airfix plus a couple of Mainline additions in the Airfix style - the 2P 4-4-0 and 56).

Dapol think they have the rights to the Kader owned tools but discover they don't, hence the use of those tools for Replica and then by Kader owned Bachmann.

Dapol then sell the tools plus their own additions to Hornby.

Mainline originated models were the Standard 4 4-6-0, 45, J72, Collett Goods, Jubliee, Royal Scot, Rebuilt Patriot, Rebuilt Royal Scot, Warship, 57xx, 56xx which have been produced in improved forms by Bachmann, plus the 56 and 2P 4-4-0 which went to Dapol and now Hornby.

Airfix originated models were the 31, 61xx, 14xx, Castle, 4F, Rebuilt Scot, N2, Dean Goods. The 31 and Rebuilt Scot seem to have vanished, and the Castle and 14xx were improved on by Dapol. Now with Hornby.

Dapol originated models were the Sprinters, Terrier, Pug, J94, County plus the loco driven Castle and revamped 14xx. Now with Hornby

Replica released the B1 and Modified Hall. Now with Bachmann

Mike Parkes snipped-for-privacy@mphgate.removetoreply demon.co.uk

Reply to
Mike Parkes

"Mike Parkes" wrote

Gulp - here goes:- Dapol originated models were the Sprinters, Terrier, Pug, J94, County plus the loco driven Castle and revamped 14xx. Now with Hornby

Replica released the B1 and Modified Hall. Now with Bachmann

Mike,

Wow! Many thanks. Thats one history lesson I never had before! I'm glad I asked.

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

Having run both Airfix and Palitoy versions at differing times, I actually preferred the Airfix Scot in terms of its running qualities (though the paint job was better on the Mainline model); the Mainline front bogie seemed too light and 'twitchy', tending to derail itself on complex pointwork or going on/off turntables (same with their Jubilee). Or maybe that's just down to my tracklaying ability....

David E. Belcher

Reply to
David E. Belcher

In article , Mike Parkes writes

I would just add to mike's excellent account that the B1 and Modified Hall were 'finished' by Kader at Replica's expense but the tooling remained in Kader's ownership. Furthermore, Bachmann is owned by Kader which is why Kader tooling was used to make the original Branch Line range of Bachmann models.

Pat Hammond

Reply to
Pat Hammond

I'm not sure if, in part, the 2P was based on work already done towards the never-released Airfix Midland Compound. Certainly, the 2P used an Airfix motorised tender, being identical to the one that powered the 4F rather than based on any existing Mainline Fowler tender.

David E. Belcher

Reply to
David E. Belcher

Forgot about the 03 which was a Mainline Kader model hence its appearance in the Replica and Bachmann ranges. A simple way of working out whose model it was originally is the form of coupling. If its the non-NEM clip fit type now used by Hornby then its a Airfix / Mainline (non Kader tooling) or Dapol originated model . Kader models have the tension locks (pre NEM mount) normally screw fixed although some had the tension lock loop moulded as part of the model.

Mike Parkes snipped-for-privacy@mphgate.removetoreply demon.co.uk

Reply to
Mike Parkes

I doubt it was your tracklaying. Many steam locos have iffy pilot trucks

- engineering proper springing and centering action in such a tight space is costly. One can usually improve tracking by the following, arranged in increasing order of difficulty.

a) ensure that wheel profile, gauge, and back-to-back are spot on (but beware -- different makes of track have different frog (crossing) dimensions - that's a whole 'nother rant.) Replace or modify wheels if necessary. This step is essential, no matter what else you do.

b) add a _light_ centering spring (the usual arrangement of a bar for a

2-wheel truck, or a slotted plate for a 4-wheel truck, tends to skew the truck against the outside of a curve, etc.) OR c) weight the truck: wrap some solder round the axle(s), or stick a lead weight to the truck. Even the few grams added this way will help. Metal wheels also help, so replace plastic ones. (I prefer this method)

d) Reduce slop in the mounting holes/slots as much as possible. The truck should be able to move sideways easily, but should have as little skewing action as possible. This may entail fabricating new parts, mounting screws/pins, etc.

HTH&GL

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

All good advice Wolf, but in advocating options B and C, you're certain to incur the wrath of our resident psychoceramic*.

All the best.

(*Crackpot.)

Reply to
Mark Newton

"Wolf Kirchmeir"

Remove ALL springing and centring devices and let the weight of the truck and wheels do all the tracking. The only thing you may want to do, is to add weight to the truck, if it's possible.

I have some 20 kettles with leading and trailing trucks and all track under their own weight or, where possible, with a bit of extra weight added to the truck or wheel axle(s). My track is all hand-laid and varies from around 20 inch radius but is mainly between 28 and 30 plus inches.

My locos, with trucks, range from small 2-10-0s, 2-8-0s and 4-6-2s through mid sized 2-8-2s up to largish 4-8-2s. The 20 inch radius curve is on the wye (triangle) in "Berger Yard" used for turning power and handles the

2-10-0s, 2-8-0s, 4-6-2s and 2-8-2s with no problem. Both classes of 4-8-2 are restricted to the "main line" part of the layout and don't operate into Berger Yard as the 28 inch branch line curves are bit too sharp for them. They tend to derail in a tunnel that's rather awkward to access.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Or even "Rosebud Kitmaster" originated :-)

Reply to
Laurie

Eh?

Mike Parkes snipped-for-privacy@mphgate.removetoreply demon.co.uk

Reply to
Mike Parkes

Just the fact that some of the Airfix models used tooling that was taken over from Kitmaster, when they went broke in the 1960's. So the originators of some Airfix models, were in fact, Kitmaster.

Reply to
Laurie