Top Gun

In the UK, the satellite telly channel Sky onc is currently showing this film.

I've recorded the first three minutes. That short clip is one of the best representations of aviation that I have ever seen. I didn't bother with the rest of the film. Once that A-7 comes to rest, the remainder of the film is crap!!!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

...the whole of the film is crap, IMO.

Reply to
Rufus

Hot Shots, and Hot Shots Part Deux, were better.

Reply to
willshak

Have you ever seen the video for Will Young's song "Switch It On"?

It's is a self-consciously gay pastiche of "Top Gun". The trouble is that although it tries hard to be gay, it still isn't quite as homoerotic as the Tom Cruise film!

Incidentally, rather than using F-14s, the aircraft are a Hawker Hunter T7 and Blackburn Buccaneers.

so... the single and video were made in 2005. Where, in 2005, were there still airworthy Buccaneers?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

aha... answering my own question, a little research on the web shows that the video was filmed in Thunder City, Cape Town, South Africa. Makes sense.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

if you can afford it, they do pleasure trips

Reply to
Jules

After watching that remake of that pap, you may need to view this to cleanse the palate:

And this is not the first remake of Top Gun..the first remake of Top Gun was called Days of Thunder. (tongue in cheek.. another absolutely horrid movie)

--- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

When "Days of Thunder" came out, I gave my kid the choice of it or the "Ghost Dad" preimer, she chose the Cosby flick. It was waaay better, not that I am saying that "Ghost Dad" was real good; just that the Cruise film was so lousy.

Reply to
Andrew M

DOH! Hit the send key by mistake.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

same with the naked guns. i only like the fist 10 minutes of saving private ryan. once they shoot the prisoners, it's back to pinky and the brain. if you've never seen pinky and the brain, disney is giving it a spin. what is narf, pinky? well, it's like poyt with an n, isn't it, brain?

Reply to
someone

...the symbolism behind (so to speak...) the Buccaneers is priceless...

Reply to
Rufus

Never bothered with that one. It didn't have F-14s, just Cruise and Chevys.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

If *course* it was lousy... it had Tom Cruise in it!

"War of the Worlds" was his worst yet! No attempt at any sort of logical plotline, an annoying self-obsessed teenager who thinks his problems are so important that he steals the car in the middle of an alien invasion and Tom Cruise gets acted off the screen by an eleven-year-old girl who has no dialogue! ;-)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Watch how maneuverable those aggressor squadron A-4s are in comparison to the F-14s. It's no wonder that Israeli pilots fell head over heels in love with that plane.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

The pilots don't call 'em "scooters" for nothin'.

Reply to
Rufus

could be, pinky

Reply to
someone

Hey guys, lets put things into perspective here. For one thing the ' souped up ' version of the Skyhawk used by Navy/Marine aggressor squadrons was called the " Super Fox ". It was an A-4F that was stripped of everything non-essential for the role of an aggressor ( guns, ammo, pylons, avionics hump, etc. ) and powered by the most powerful engine available for the A-4 providing 9,400 lbs of thrust ( later replaced with a version of the J52 providing 11,200 lbs of thrust ). To compare the maneuverability of a stripped version of the Skyhawk to that of an F-14 is not really a ' real-world ' comparison. An A-4 ' loaded for bear ' is a real dog as far as trying to maneuver with an opponent. " Super Fox " A-4's were simulating a Vietnam type situation where U.S. fighters flying from a good distance from home base engage nimble Mig-17's that are very close to home base.

Chris

Reply to
CCBlack

...I dunno. I worked with a Harrier test pilot once that was current in both Harriers and "stock" A-4s at the time, and he referred to the A-4 as a "scooter". And loved them.

Reply to
Rufus