Trumpeter models... why so much $$???

Looking at all the members in my clubs, there would be little shared opinion as to what is worth what. Some have bookcases full of $60-80 books and trunks of photoetch and aftermarket parts where others primarily buy just kits. Some modelers won't buy resin kits as they are "too expensive" yet have hundreds of unbuilt plastic kits whcu certainly weren't cheap. Some dump a huge amount into each kit with aftermarket stuff and others build OOTB and spend relatively little. Some of the biggest spenders I know actually build the least. There is no one right way to enjoy this hobby.
Price in models often has little to do with quality (note the word "often" and not "always"). We get some new kits that are relative bargains so its not unreasonable some would not be. Like anything else, there are some favorite subjects I'll pay more for. The Trumpeter P-40 isn't a bargan in the sense as some of the recent Hasegawa/Revell releases, but its still far cheaper than the resin B/C that is out there and is light years ahead of the ancient 1/32 Mono/Revell E. Yeah, I've seen some staggering masterpieces based on this old kit but after taking a look at the bare sprues, these are a testomony to the builder and not the base kit! Trumpeter tanks seem reasonably priced. The Mig jets have fallen in price quite a bit since they came out. Those with a Hobby Lobby nearby can get many of the Trumper planes for 1/2 off during sales...
If one doesn't like 'em or think they are outrageously overpriced, simply don't buy 'em, but they may be just right for someone else.
Tom
Well guys, it isn't 1953 anymore and AURORA F6F Hellcats are no longer $0.69 ?
Live with it.
TEN years from now, kits will cost more. The Revell Germany 1/72 Type VIIC U-Boat from which we could all build the real U-571 will be $150.00 instead of $49.00 as it is at Brookhurst Hobbies today and we will all say, "remember the good old and gone days?"
If you are a builder, you pay the kit price and then you spend 100 hours building a museum quality model after which you display it, sell it or have it published in Fine Scale Modeler, or you pay the price, phantasize about building the model and hope it is worth $10.00 more than you paid for it 5 years later when you try to sell it at a model show.
The companies that make the model kits are run buy guys just like us who have figured out that "wanting" is better than "having" and "buying" it more important than "building". You don't think women are smart enough to have figured that ouy. do you? They collect Bennie Babbies and Barby Dolls and Ginny Dools and they think what they buy is valuable. :-) My wife does. :-)
I have more models than I can build in 50 years, unless I leave my wife and start building 5 models/day and quite my day job. Bet there are a bunch more like me. 50+ year old kids. God I love it!
I'd pay $150.00+ for a solid wood Strombecker kit of a B-29. Why?, because I could recapture the childhood moment when my Dad built one for me and it hung from the ceiling lamp in my room in 1952.
So stop bitching about kit prices. You are either a model builder or a hopless model collector. Either way, we are all damned.
Jim Klein Hpeless Model Collector and 50+year old kid
What I have noticed when I checked current kit prices against inflation is a much broader RANGE of current prices. Low priced kits are very much in line with inflation. However, there are plastic kits (including resin) that are much more expensive in real dollars than kits sold forty or fifty years ago.
In the early days (fifties and sixties) almost all kits were intended for mass market, and detail in kit and price reflected this. Scale modeling matured, many practicioners were adults who could afford more expensive kits but wanted high quality and lots of detail. Smaller cottage industry sprang up to cater to these buyers. This same situation continues today. RM snaptites are aimed at youth, to be sold in toy and craft stores. Resin kits for serious modelers, sold in hobby shops or via mail order, higher prices and quality.
Today's situation seems to be a better situation than in beginning.
West Coast Engineering wrote:

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota
snipped-for-privacy@usfamily.net

Claus Gustafsen
Strandby Denmark

Around here, they aren't any more expensive than kits from other brands; in fact, they are mostly cheaper. I guess you're just having to pay more for imported stuff over there than we do here. At least, now you know what it feels like... ;-)
--
__________ ____---____ Marco Antonio Checa Funcke
\_________D /-/---_----' Santiago de Surco, Lima, Peru
Blondeguy wrote:

Actually I can sort of see it for the 1/350 carriers, I still don't hink I'll be putting one on my stash anytime soon. Hell I have representatives of most of the players on the the 3rd and 5th Fleets in 1/700and I don't know where I'll display those!
Not having display space is a valid reason to not buy the kits. I don't buy planes over 1/48 for similar reasons, where would I put them?
Gray Ghost wrote:

I agree the Carriers are excellent and the pricing does seem cheap compared to Tamiya at the original release time of the Tamiya BBs. However I think we may be missing something here. All the original reviews on the carriers compared them to Mike Bishop's Blue Water Navy releases in resin. Things like the bow has the same error as the BWN kit.The imediate conclusion is they used the BWN kits as their model to copy - big savings in original design , and and absence of any significant mistakes like on the wildcat. Compare these to the inconsistensies (within a single kit like nobody talks to each other and they don't hold design reviews) in Trumpeter's 1/32 aircraft. Also ask yourself the following:
The photoetch hinges add nothing but cost and cokmplications - why are they included???
The K5 is in 1/35th, the rail wheels are in 1/32nd - why?? now I can't put it on a track with all the other 1/35th rail stuff.
Have they ever actually built one of their kits and wondered why the whole landing gear bay wasn't included???
Seems to me if they had some good 1/32 aircraft to copy from those kits would be a lot better too.
Val Kraut

less filler on both the Hornet AND Essex I

Can you provide specifics (gauge, diameter?) about this (or a source)? All I have seen rates the Trumpeter K5 as slightly better overall than the DML version.
KL
It was in several reviews and RMS posts. I selected the Trumpeter kit since overall it got better comments/review and I still only had the positve experiences with the Carriers at that point. I'll probably show it alone - so no big deal. The review speculated that there's a standard railroad scale that comes out to be 1/32 and thus they selected to make the wheel spacing 1/32 to make it also marketable in that arena. Some folks posted they wanted to show the units being moved as part of a train or being moved by a diesel engine. Apparently getting the wheels spaced for 1/35th isn't trivial. Ironsides is marketing part of their original K5 as a fix. The Ironworks units are in resins - so Trumpeter has essentially priced their unit off the market and they're grabbing what they can.
I guess I have the same feeling with the photo etched control surface hinges. If you want sacle and detail and end up seezing the surfaces in place with the fixed control rods - why go thru the bother. Unless they also have some idea that you can leave out the rods and have a "toy" with moving parts. Not that I'm sure they're structurally sound as a "play with it toy".
Val Kraut
wrote

put
All

.
Hearsay, in other words. Have you measured the track on your kit?
I wonder. I'll bet half the people don't even know what the correct European gauge is, or how it is measured. Given the correct gauge as a reference, why are people looking at the wheel sets anyway - these can vary depending on wheel diameter, rating, and so forth. Finally, my experience has been that most people can't measure model parts accurately closer than about 1/8 inch. . .
KL
Well if it's under 2" total I can measure to 0.0001" and if it's under 6" total I can measure to 0.001" but for most of my modeling that's way too anal....also assuming the part geometry will allow normal outside mics and calipers to fit. Also can measure tubing walls to 0.0001" if the tube ID is 0.10" or greater and the wall isn't thicker than 1".
Kurt Laughlin wrote:

Ron, you ain't what I consider "most people". . .
KL

than
Why thanks Kurt.
Now if I could just find the time to learn how to use the minilathe downstairs.
Kurt Laughlin wrote:

I don't know if it was a mistake or not, but I just picked up the Trumpeter Antonov AN-2V Colt on floats for $8.99.
Tom

Trumpeter
saw that price direct from HK, in the UK its eq of almost 17 bucks.
Is it possible that either the rest of the 1/35 railroad based models or the Trumpeter K5 could have the wheel trucks slightly off scale to match some model railroad scale?