Uh...

...ok...now I'm DEAD SOLID CERTAIN I don't wanna be an astronaut...

...it's not easy being green, I guess.

Reply to
Rufus

I had never considered how they would get enough water for a crew going to Mars but it does make some sense. they just had an engineer from Marshall talking about the system on NASA TV and he had the pseudo-reporter drink from a bottle of water recovered from the test system and he told the guy "part of me is in there" .... kind of sick but they can't stop at a Kroger or Walmart on the way. this is just the early version of the system that will eventually go to Mars, kind of cool.

Reply to
duane cole

...it's a high-tech version of a reclamation system that is already in place for recycling public drinking water in San Diego, CA...the media labeled it "toilet to tap"...and more folks drink bottled water now...

...like I said, it ain't easy being green. I am SO glad I'll be dead before I have to move to Mars...

Reply to
Rufus

agreed, not very appetizing....

Reply to
duane cole

I was told once that mains water has passed through someone else's kidneys an average of seven times before it reaches us! Have drunk nothing but beer ever since :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

And exactly where do you think they get the water to brew the beer, same place......:)

Reply to
James R. Jones

I've heard of much worse things in sewage treatment plants, but schit that's still nasty. Speaking of nasty crap, how will they recycle THAT? :-o

Reply to
eyeball

eyeball wrote: : : I've heard of much worse things in sewage treatment plants, but schit : that's still nasty. Speaking of nasty crap, how will they recycle : THAT? :-o : I expect they will have to dehydrate it before either expelling the solids or storing them. Not sure why, but then again, I am not sure why Mars.

Shitty atmosphere (either too much, or not enough, depending) and then what? And why from earth? Why not from a base where you have a more shallow gravity well?

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

...well...there's water in it...so I guess there's a centrifugal separator that will add that to the liquid water collection...I think they bring the solids home...or let them burn up in the atmosphere on re-entry...I do seem to recall hearing something about most of the "shooting stars" that people wish upon being nothing more than orbital blue ice...

...there ain't enough Tang on the planet to get me into space...

Reply to
Rufus

...so...how much crap DO you have to put up with to build a base on the moon?..

...I am ever increasingly SOOOO glad I'll be dead...

Reply to
Rufus

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Since the Earth's water has been here for almost forever, every molecule of water you drink has probably passed through the bodies of every creature that ever lived, including the dinosaurs.

Reply to
willshak

Old, old news! It must be a slow news day.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

willshak said the following on 15/11/2008 16:24:

It's the old burger-eater meeting his client in the abattoir situation again.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

i believe they are using the russian system. saw a vid of a russin guy pour his whizz into a tube, it went through a box that made cool noises and came out into a glass which he drank. they used it on their mir and it even aerates the water so it isn't flat and tasteless. leave us not forget the trusty old stillsuit from dune. it recycled all body secretions. a man in a stillsuit on lost a tablespoon of water a week while properly buttoned up. 20 years ago, i heard a nasa guy say that that wasn't impossible with current tech. considereing all water has been around for at least 4 billon years on earth, what hasn't it been in? you've drunk dinosaur pee, a few million cycles removed.

Reply to
someone

I was thinking it would make good building material. Every house a shit house!

Reply to
eyeball

I'd be more worried about aftertaste. And halitosis.

Reply to
eyeball

They could use it to increase the humus content of the soil there.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

"Astronomers see giant clouds of gas bubbling out of Uranus."

Reply to
Mad Modeller

I don't think tasteless is a worry. The kind of taste the water will have is of more importance. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Kinda like when your dog stops by the porcelain water bowl on his way to your lap. :(

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller