[UK] Heads up. TV programme on Airfix Friday 7pm.

BBC2 at 7pm

Title Airfix:Britain's Next Top Model?

Max Flint investigates the resurrection of the Airfix brand.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Damn! When I saw "Top Model" and "Flint" I did a double-take there...

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

I think that's what the producers go for, whatever there is to hang the 'sex' thread on, unless they are going to show the new Airfix Victoria's Secret line?

Damn! Now I've let the secret out.

In the mean time -

Richard Brooks

Especially interesting was the reaction from Airfix' employees when they learned that the character of Martha Jones had been dropped as the companion for Dr Who. A shame really as I thought they did a really flattering likeness of Freema Agyeman.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

i enjoyed the programme but hate Dr where...and of course they shoudl have expected new cast members (never seen her, didnt know she was leaving)

today i picked up a Airfix kit from my local model shop...i sealed 72nd Buccaneer! someone brought in 2nd hand...had i had any spare cash, i would have bought the bloodhound and a couple of others.

Reply to
Jules

She was a big hit with viewers and there was every reason to believe she'd continue in the role for at least another couple of years. It came as a bombshell out of the blue when it was announced she'd been dropped.

I vaguely remember the Airfix kit being advertised in the Aeromodeller as the "NA 39" when it first came out? Could be wrong, I usually am :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

ok i remember when Billie Piper left (cos i thought she was hot, only reason occ i would watch a episode....)

must admit, when i watched the programme on BBC2 earlier, they had like 50 boxed sets flown over from China, i thought 25 quid was a lot of cash, esp as its aimed at kids, or maybe teenagers....of course they have to bring out, what sells and makes them money, after all, like that said, most people who buy Airfix are over 40 (and train spotters, no woman in there lifes etc etc) im not quite 40...and have a few chicks on the go, love clubbing and sleeping around, but when i admit i make 'airfix kits' they laugh....mind you, my last chick, i got into modelling, and even over a year on she loves it, planes, tanks, cars....she loves it.

showing your age... :-)

Im actually gutted, this kit is like hens teeth (ok being a palaeontologist, its not that far removed) and last year i sold about 10 or so update sets for this kit, cos i didnt think i could find one at a good price, etch, resin, metal..mind you, i got like 10 times the price of the kit...but im kicking myself now!

Reply to
Jules

Two words, one photo - Billie Piper:

God, that's the ticket, mate! And where is that complete Dr. Who series of kits from Airfix? Aurora made a fortune off of their "Famous Monsters Of Filmland" series. I want a 1/6 scale Tom Baker Dr. Who with a real fabric scarf, and I want it _now_. Also, 1/6 scale Daleks that you can stick a CO2 cylinder into...that have a electro-optical system in them that makes them shriek "Ex-term-i-nate! EX-TERM-I-NATE!!!" and freeze anyone's nose off when they try to get a close look at the model. But of course, we'll never see that, will we? No fun at all, that's the Airfix way. No Avro Lancaster with "Working Bouncing Bomb!". No "The visible Queen Victoria!". No "Exploding Guy Fawkes!". No "Classic Naked Page Three Girls!". Nope...no fun at all. You can easily understand why John Milton liked the forces of hell better than those of heaven, because at least they were fun, and therefore un-British. He may have been blind as a bat, but even he could see that. By God, those British bastards deserved 1776, just to teach them to lighten up a bit. There would have been no Goon Show or Monty Python without America's inspiration to Britain's concept of surrealistic comedy...The Boston Tea Party. Even "Punch" is a rip-off of Franklin's "Poor Richard's Almanac".

"My only regret is that I have but one laugh to give to my country." - Nathan Hale, 1776 (As his body hung beneath the gallows, a pair of wooden teeth fell from Hale's pocket, with "Liberty Shall Bite George III Upon His Royal Arse" engraved upon them, and "via a cunning clockwork mechanism devised by Paul Revere, did chatter and move across the ground, causing great alarm among all those who witnessed their peculiar motion and noise")

Pat

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

The Martha character has not been "dropped", she is being rested for the start of the next series (Series 4 in the new incarnation) to be replaced by Catherine "Am I Bovvered" Tate, as Donna Noble (last year's Xmas Special).

Freema Agyeman returns later the series alongside Ms. Tate to battle the Sontarans, played by Christopher Ryan (ex Young One).

Ms. Agyeman's sojorn away from Doctor Who will be spent in the more adult Torchwood series, so plenty of swearing and alien sex, though not for Ms. Agyeman apparently! The BBC are also planning "pre watershed" versions of Torchwood to be transmitted earlier in the evening.

As an aside Billie Piper is returning in Series 4 too, they'll need all that space in the Tardis!

By the way, but if I followed the programme correctly, the people mastering the Doctor Who figures were not Airfix staff, but worked for an outside contractor.

What has always baffled me was why Airfix didn't do a range of Doctor Who items back in the sixties?

MH

Reply to
max

well, they have the license to build the fone box thing time machine...so they can go back in time and do it now :-)

hate Dr..watched it in the 70's when i was a kid and scared shitless...but prefferd Basil Brush!

Reply to
Jules

I'd just like to say...

Dr. Who AND the return of Airfix models all in one... I have to go lie down in a dark room for a bit... life just gets better and better...

Wulf (who remembers the FIRST Doctor, and built his first Airfix kit at the age of 9...)

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

pertwee was the first one shown where i was and i still like him best. his jokes were better than baker's.

Reply to
someone

Did anyone record it (BBC2 Airfix) , those modellers I know missed it ? Perhaps a YouTube of the more interesting parts ?...or all of it as parts

1,2,3 etc for easy loadup time :-) Steve
Reply to
Steve

Steve said the following on 10/12/2007 13:40:

It seems that the BBC are doing their own thing. See right-hand window.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Richard Brooks said the following on 10/12/2007 14:18:

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Steve said the following on 10/12/2007 13:40:

I don't know what pitfalls you may find but it is available via here;

It says today (Monday) that there are 4 days left, you have to install the BBC iPlayer and the whole download process only works through IE.

I'm downloading the programme right now and time will tell if the format is covertable to other formats for burning to DVD.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

I never could figure that out, either. Those Daleks would have sold like hot cakes. For that matter figures of Steed and Mrs. Peel would have sold well also.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

I imagine as a kid that world would be fairly intense if you thought stuff like that could really happen on a day-to-day basis. I grew up watching Fireball XL-5 and later The Prisoner and The Avengers, all of which were fairly popular here in the U.S.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

The BBC seem to have been extremely difficult (and expensive) to deal with regarding copyright & licensed properties - judging by Airfix's experience, they still are. For that matter, I am still somewhat confused over the matter of the actor's likenesses - is that a license from the BBC, or from the actors?

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

I know most teenage boys would've wanted a Mrs. Peel. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller