vinyl cutter

Hi there,
I just finished a kit in non-standard markings, for which I had to make my own roundels. The result was so-so. This made me look for ways of making my
own decals using vinyl paint masks. (I've given up the idea of printing them on special inkjet paper, or copying them in a copy-shop). There aren't that many on the market (I mean generic sheets for letters, stars and bars and roundels), so I came across a vinyl cutting machine from Roland (the Stika SX-8). It costs only (!) about $450, but it opens a new world of possibilities, since you can plug the cutter in your pc, and create new masks with for example Corel Draw. I see myself already making masks for a splinter camouflaged swedish KV-107 or Viggen... Putting aside the cost of the machine, what do you think of the idea ? Any experience with vinyl cutting ?
Thanks for your input.
Pierre
ps : I am aware of Eduard and Yasig masks.
pierre francois wrote:

Pierre:
    One of the fun things about this hobby is finding a new and better way to do things. A splinter camouflage Viggen would be a real attention getter. You might be able to recoup some of your $450 by making custom masks for other modellers. Keep us posted about how this works out, and above all, HAVE FUN!
                                Bill Shuey
pierre francois wrote:

I think there are a lot of folk that use the Stika - I don't have one, but know of them and wouldn't mind getting one.
--
- Rufus

Hi Pierre, I'm pretty sure a vinyl set for the Viggen or KV-107 (Hkp4) would sell if the price was reasonable.
I know of another company that had the intention of making a set, but after I sent them drawings they backed out. It will take a LOT of work to transfer the two-dimensional paint scheme/drawings to a three- dimensional model...
Bet of Luck !!
Sten Flying Colors Aerodecals flyingcolr -at- ao l -dot- c om

my
them
that
says...

That's really a pitty!! I don't care much for vinyl masks, but I would buy a masking set for a 1/72 Viggen straight away. Is it really that bad to develop such a set? I guess it would one modeler to paint the camouflage on a model, and then measure the individual masks from that model. It's a lot of work, but still manageble I would say. Please ask them to reconsider!!
Rob de Bie
My models: www.sml.lr.tudelft.nl/~home/rob/models.htm Me 163B site: www.sml.lr.tudelft.nl/~home/rob/me163.htm
Hi, I have tried and I do not have the time and energy at the moment myself. It was bad enough to make the scale drawings, trust me...
Sten