vinyl sign cutter

Anyone have experience, recommendations for vinyl sign cutters? I see a large price range on eBay:

I need new roadside signs. I just got a quote for $4K. So, I volunteered my SO to learn how to make our own using a vinyl cutter I'll buy for her.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I use Gerber Scientific stuff at work. They make nice machines but are sorta like the micro$oft of sign making equipment (loved/hated). Most plotters (as they are usually called) will work from HPGL but I've never tried it. I use Gerber Omega to do the vector artwork/cut paths and it's a snap. The software to run one of these can also be quite pricey, along with the vinyl you plan to cut. A roll of good quality cast vinyl can be a few hundred dollars. How many, what size and how complex are your signs? When you add everything up you may need to buy, $4K may seem reasonable.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

You do know there are online vendors who will cut the vinyl for you? My recollection is that the letters would cost around $50 for a sign that was $200-300 from a local shop.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

A friend of mine has a sign making business and for $4K he would probably drive across the country to make you signs . Most likely, your signs are either to big or the artwork has multiple colors or complex shapes. Sign making is very labor intensive- every layer of color is put down individually. For four colors, the sign has to be made four times. Complex shapes take a lot of time to remove the excess vinyl (called "weeding"). A stylized pine tree can be weeded in seconds, a realistic oak can take hours. If the sign is to large, the vinyl must be cut and edged spliced, which is no fun at all and you will pay extra for both labor and material. Talk to a sign pro (not a franchise business) and see if they can simplify your artwork or resize it to be less labor or material intensive. If you want to, send me your layout and I'll get it to my friend for a quote.

The cutter is only a small part of the sign making process- you will need the cutter and a PC to drive it, vinyl (and outdoor grade hi-performance vinyl costs $$$$), transfer tape, a transfer table, software (ungodly expensive) and several years of experience (good signmakers learn in an apprentice-like program). My friend has about 10 grand in equipment and he bought much of it from a failed sign business.

Sign making is a lot like metalworking- you can't just by the stuff and be an instant expert at it. Mistakes are expensive and even pros make them.

-Carl "spelled the right way"

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Gotta be vinyl? Look up someone with a CNC router, and you can have them cut into either wood, or high density foam signboard (doesn't rot, takes paint well). Most systems can work from a DXF.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

You don't actually need a vinyl cutter to cut vinyl. I've seen some pretty amazing stuff done with an exacto knife.

Reply to
Steve Austin

====== Very informative message.

Unka' George [George McDuffee] ============ Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not constitute so strong an attachment as that from which they draw their gains.

F. George McDuffee

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 07:01:31 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Karl Townsend" quickly quoth:

I researched them a decade ago for a client. He went with a VyTek 1000 (? with tangential head) and Casware's ScanVec software, Corel Draw, and a new computer for roughly $24k. That info's pretty much outdated and useless today.

I see a

Good way to go. She'll continue to earn income for you that way.

I had my magnetic truck signs printed and they threw in some front/rear text with my URL on it (stuck to lo-tack) for the kingly sum of $110, delivered from FL. 2ea 12x18" magnetics + 2ea sets of

2-1/2x34" letters, one reversed.

While scanning my computer for those old mfgr names, I stumbled upon this and thought I'd share it:

(Motorcycle shop sign)

Engine Repair Estimate Chart

----------------------------

ping-ping-ping $125.00 ping-ping-klang $150.00 ping-klang-ping $155.00 klang-klunk-wheeze $175.00 klang-clunk-boom $500.00

-- Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Would you see if your friend would be interested in sending out cut sheets for me to apply? I sent a concept picture of our sign to your email. I understand he'd have significant programming time for part 1.

I bet you're right about it being more difficult than it looks on first inspection. But, I'd still like to try at least part of the process myself. After all, I never would have started metal working if I were afraid of mistakes - no doubt its cheaper to hire the pros for all the metal projects also.

Karl "spelt rite"

Reply to
Karl Townsend

This is a good idea. I'll search one out if Carl's friend doesn't work out.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I have a Roland CAMM-1 I'd like to get rid of. Only managed to use it a few times.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

We use a 30" ANA Express in our shop. We've had it about 10 years. We wore out 2 Rolands before that. Our software is Sign Wizard Pro. It cost $2250.00 10 years ago.

As far as advice; try and get a cutter that runs at least 30 ips (our ANA's top speed is 115 ips). If you plan on cutting reflective and/or sandblasting stencil, look for a cutter with at least 500 grams of pressure.

It's possible to cut directly from Corel Draw, but you will be limited to size and will need to make a template or it's very likely your cutting will be outside the template area. If you're not planning on outlines, inlines, etc., some of the low cost software that comes bundled with the cutter should get you started.

Calendered vinyl has an outdoor life of about 6 years and is about 1/3 the cost of Cast vinyl (8 year life). You can also consider spray mask, which allows you to use conventional spray paints to give your sign longer life.

Another consumable is transfer tape, and is how you transfer your designs after weeding from the release liner to whatever - your sign board, window, truck door etc.

Please don't let any of what I've said put you off. We charge a shop rate of $60 hour, and set-up and design is quite labor intensive. If you have the time you will not only save money, you have control.

We've had good luck with

for our supplies.

Have fun!

Rod Grantham granthams at wiktel dot com

Reply to
chips-'n-swarf

I sent your artwork to him and did not tell him what your first estimate came in at. What substrate are your planning to use? The best choice is prefinished aluminum- it holds up well to severe weather. The problem with prefinished aluminum is only sign shops use it, so they'll know you're up to something. IIRC, the biggest sheet size is 4X8, but I'll double-check that. Whatever you use, it must be nonporous- no plywood allowed.

It is- I've helped my friend out on jobs with a tight deadline (which mainly consisted of me being a go-fer and third hand) and sign making is an art unto itself.

Getting the vinyl onto the substrate is probably the easiest part of the job- if a clutz (correct spelling) like me can do it, anyone can.

-Carl (correct spelling)

Reply to
Carl Byrns

How big are the signs, and how permanent do they need to be? Depending on what you need, you may want to consider having signs printed by a local large format place where you can give them full color computer files and have them print out up to billboard sized signs that will last a few months. Depending on what they charge in your area it may be a better deal, and allow more graphically complex signs and up to date content. Or you could do like they seem to be doing around here and just get a color LED sign board. Even seen them at lowly self storage places...

Reply to
Pete C.

Reply to
Paul Hastings

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 21:46:06 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Pete C." quickly quoth:

Yeah, Grants Pass was hit by those last year. There must be fifty new ones up since then. I'm guessing that the cheaper Chiwanese versions finally came out about then.

-- Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have been using vinyl spray masks to do signs with urethane base / clear paint. I am guessing the life expectancy of about 20 years or so. I have some signs ten years old with little change in appearance. I like the method because it allows me to do shading that is not possible with cut vinyl. Printed vinyl is another story though. Another option would be CNC plasma cut letters and images out of steel or aluminum painted to suit. You can make a sign that really stands out with images that appear 3-D. If you are interested let me know I am not that far away from you. Steve

Reply to
Up North

Looks like you have a spam proof email. I'd like to discuss with you. Email me karltownsendembarqmail.com

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

But knowing Karl he might build one himself if the raw components were readily available - All it would take is the R-G-B LED modules, the backplane boards and operating components. Then build bracketry and a housing to keep the weather off and exploring fingers away from the energized bits...

Looks like OPTEC makes the components, the sign companies build the enclosures.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I'm sure that doing the graphics would be challenging, but making a basic sign with a vinyl cutter package is no big deal. I had a little sign shop under me in the early 90's. We bought a cutter and the signmaker studied the documentation, etc, milking the learning process for all it was worth. One weekend we needed a 4 x 8 sign made, it took me about 4 hours to learn how to run the software and put together a passable sign. Was I then a "signmaker"? Of course not. But I would definitely consider making the investment today if I needed a lot of signs.

Reply to
ATP*