Weird problem: Stinky smelling kit!

Just got a package in the mail today. Bought a kit, opened it up, it's in fantastic condition, (no exterior wrap) no water damage, no dings
in the box, parts inside in plastic, and it comes complete with the most gawdawful danged smell of _MOLD_! No black or green or any other danged color on the box, but damm! It smells worse than your average teenager's locker after leaving a dozen samiches in it over Xmas break!
I've sprayed the plastic baggies with Lysol, as well as the open in- structions and the inside and outside of the box.
It's still kinda smelly, and I can smell it on my hands after holding the stuff. Any more suggestions?
"What do you want you moon faced assasin of joy!" -Amb. Londo Molare
On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 04:11:11 GMT, "Drew Hill"
Yeah. Send it to me... ;-p

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.
Al Superczynski wrote:

Yep, by the time Al got done with it mold would not be noticeable. ;)
Bill Banaszak, MFE

leave it in open air and light. a porch would be good.
Burn it! that should take care of the smell. <BG>
--
Remove *flaps* to reply
"Drew Hill" < snipped-for-privacy@702com.eathotdeathspammer.net> wrote in message
I Have noticed some export products are sprayed with some smelly stuff ( some sort of insecticide perhaps) so the various bugs of the world are not exported with them. Especially stuff from Asia regards Jimbod

Molare
Certified
    Hmmmm... Reminds me of the Seinfeld when Jerry's has his car valet-parked and the attendant had B.O. He ended up giving the car away as he couldn't remove the smell...     Life imitates art again - on a small scale, of course...
Frank Kranick
Drew Hill wrote:

1/2 cup of bleach in a gallon of water and rinse the parts....only if there's no chrome or other plating though.
Drew Hill wrote:

Was this a kit that was sent to you by the dude(AZ Hoser???) who likes to model dog shit<VVVVVVVBG>? John
Drew Hill wrote:

jerry 47 wrote:

I find the scent of Febreeze slightly vile and cloying. Doesn't help that I'm allergic to most "scents" that are nothing but chemical based. If you want a really nasty shock try Dawn Ultra, it's like fruity/flowery perfume worn but 14 year old girls....on steroids.....the stench it produces that is....whatever happened to soap that smelled like soap?
Ron wrote:

....whatever happened to soap that smelled

It is called "Ivory" and still avaliable everywhere.... If you live in the USA that is...
Peteski
"Peter W." wrote:

Wrong, it has fragrance added and it's one I find marginally offensive.

the ivory i buy is the same stuff as when i was a kid. i have allergies and it is one of two that doesn't have the evil crap added.
e wrote:

Dish soap is the problem, most of it now has "extra stink for that clean smell"....like I need or want rain-fresh-tropical-forest-orange-lemon-lime-strawberry-ultra-prefumey dishes, I just want the damned things clean.
When I saw the topic heading, I immediately flashed back to the first handful of Matchbox kits that came into my possession. Peeeeeee-uuuuuuuuwwwwwww!!!
I don't know what type of clear plastic they were using to "shrink-wrap" the boxes but the smell alone was enough to gag a person......even BEFORE the modeler got to see the famed "trenchlike" recessed panel lines!!
Rick Fluke In Rainy Montana......

you can send them to me and i'll deal with the stink.
jerry 47 wrote:

One of these days "getting past the smell" of chemical based fragrances is going to lead to respiratory arrest. No way that crap comes in my house.

that stuff can kill someone with asthma.
e wrote:

Or severe allergies.
Leave it out (open box) outdoors in open sun for few days. That shoudl kill the smell. Sun is pretty powerful!
Peteski