Weird problem: Stinky smelling kit!

Just got a package in the mail today. Bought a kit, opened it up, it's in fantastic condition, (no exterior wrap) no water damage, no dings in the box, parts inside in plastic, and it comes complete with the most gawdawful danged smell of _MOLD_! No black or green or any other danged color on the box, but damm! It smells worse than your average teenager's locker after leaving a dozen samiches in it over Xmas break!

I've sprayed the plastic baggies with Lysol, as well as the open in- structions and the inside and outside of the box.

It's still kinda smelly, and I can smell it on my hands after holding the stuff. Any more suggestions?

Reply to
Drew Hill

Yeah. Send it to me... ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

leave it in open air and light. a porch would be good.

Burn it! that should take care of the smell.

Reply to
Backbone

Yep, by the time Al got done with it mold would not be noticeable. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Certified

Reply to
Jimbo D

Hmmmm... Reminds me of the Seinfeld when Jerry's has his car valet-parked and the attendant had B.O. He ended up giving the car away as he couldn't remove the smell... Life imitates art again - on a small scale, of course...

Frank Kranick

Drew Hill wrote:

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

Reply to
John DeBoo

I find the scent of Febreeze slightly vile and cloying. Doesn't help that I'm allergic to most "scents" that are nothing but chemical based. If you want a really nasty shock try Dawn Ultra, it's like fruity/flowery perfume worn but 14 year old girls....on steroids.....the stench it produces that is....whatever happened to soap that smelled like soap?

Reply to
Ron

Leave it out (open box) outdoors in open sun for few days. That shoudl kill the smell. Sun is pretty powerful!

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

....whatever happened to soap that smelled

It is called "Ivory" and still avaliable everywhere.... If you live in the USA that is...

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Wrong, it has fragrance added and it's one I find marginally offensive.

Reply to
Ron

One of these days "getting past the smell" of chemical based fragrances is going to lead to respiratory arrest. No way that crap comes in my house.

Reply to
Ron

the wife hands me the simple green when there is a really bad smell. I use the stuff to clean my radio control nitro cars. keeps the cars smelling minty fresh! also lysol is good, will remove permanent ink markings with a wipe. neither product harm plastics and both are great for getting rid of unwanted odors

Reply to
Backbone

the ivory i buy is the same stuff as when i was a kid. i have allergies and it is one of two that doesn't have the evil crap added.

that stuff can kill someone with asthma.

Or severe allergies.

Reply to
Ron

Dish soap is the problem, most of it now has "extra stink for that clean smell"....like I need or want rain-fresh-tropical-forest-orange-lemon-lime-strawberry-ultra-prefumey dishes, I just want the damned things clean.

Reply to
Ron

Yep, totally destroyed a clothes hamper that way.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller