What does "top posting" mean?

Top posting is what the net-ninnies get their panties in a knot about. Personally, I prefer that the reply be at the top. I don't have to keep re-reading the original posts every reply. It really frosts my butt to have to repeatedly scroll down past the replies that I have already read 20, 50 or 100 times before.

Once you read the original post, it seems quite redundant to me to have to re-read it again and again and again and....

I have a better solution - why don't we all just clip the bulk of the text and save just a line or two from the post you are replying (like I did above) to and save us all the repeated history lessons.

John Alger IPMS 10906 Charlotte Scale Modelers

Reply to
John

No because someone might ask if you have a four-poster at home. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

C.R. Krieger said the following on 11/12/06 20:58:

There is although it's called the Usenet Guidelines although propagated into various forms. After Google took over from Dejanews it's all turned to crap. When a new user joined up with a bulletin board the Usenet Guidelines were the first thing one was told to download and read.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

But what is he a poster child for?

Reply to
Ron Smith

The next step is to repeat yourself?

PS: The above is what is wrong with top posting. Did my sentence make any sense to you before you read the original message afterwards?

To complete my sins, no trimming at all, not even the sigs, and adding material at the bottom, too. If you didn't scroll down, you've missed this brilliant prose.

Reply to
Jack Bohn

That's exactly what is generally preferred. Unfortunately many people don't make the effort to trim.

BobbyG

Reply to
Bobby Galvez

I agree. I almost always top-post - that's where my news reader automatically puts me when I reply to a thread anyway. It's really a matter of personal preference with really no more importance than a preference for Times Roman vs., Arial font when you type a letter.

If everyone top-posted there would still be that chronologic progression of the thread that someone mentioned a couple days ago. the only difference is that, as you quite accurately pointed out, it relieves the need to scroll down through stuff you've already read to get to the new post at the bottom.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Not to mention that if you use a decent reader you choose the auto option for top or bottom, as well as display by thread tree - which is what I always do if I really want to examine a discourse anyway.

So it makes me no difference - top or bottom post...variety is good.

Reply to
Rufus

I'm tempted to say 'responsibility'.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr. ;)