Which 1/35 Scale M1A1 is DECENT & Inexpensive?

Hi there.

I'm thinking about getting a 1/35 scale kit of the M1A1 *JUST FOR COMPARISON PURPOSES*. Therefore I'm looking for an inexpensive yet reasonably accurate kit. I see that Academy, Italeri, Tamiya, and Trumpeter all have offerings. Whose offering builds into a decent but

*INEXPENSIVE* M1A1?

I could care less about mine rollers or dozer blades.

Cheers from Peter

Reply to
TankBuilder2

The best M1A1 is the more recent kit by Dragon called the M1A1 AIM #3535. It is less expensive than the newest Tamiya M1A1/M1A2 combo kit, more accurate and nicely done. Older Dragon M1A1/A2 kits are a little fidgety to build, the Trumpeter kits are OK, but have more issues, the older Tamiya is OK as well, but not as detailed. The Academy kit is a poor man's copy of the original Tamiya M1 kit with a half hearted attempt to update it to an A1.

I would advise against the Italeri M1A1 or A2 kits.

RobG

Reply to
rgronovius

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: : : The best M1A1 is the more recent kit by Dragon called the M1A1 AIM : #3535. It is less expensive than the newest Tamiya M1A1/M1A2 combo : kit, more accurate and nicely done. : Does that mean Tamiya finally fixed their half-assed attempt at an M1A1 based on the X-M1 they originally marketed?

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Bruce

urden =A0 =A0Austin, TX.

Lower hull of the Tamiya kit is still the same, upper hull was retooled, new tracks and a brand new turret was created. One thing Tamiya did that Dragon hasn't figured out yet is that the Tamiya kit will build into either a US Army or USMC M1A1 (there are a number of subtle differences) or a US Army M1A2 (non-SEP which makes it a less common early version used by just a couple of divisions).

Reply to
rgronovius