WW2 airfield vehicles (RAF and RN). What blue?

I am interested in a possible finish for an AEC Matador flatbed lorry for a diorama depicting a Sunderlands base in Plymouth, UK, in late

1942.

I found the following statement among the archive of this forum: "Pre-war RAF vehicles were finished in blue-grey, but in 1939-40 the paint colour was switched to a khaki green shade, in 1941 to brown and in 1944 to olive drab."

Regarding the blue-grey, and omitting to consider the obvious variations due to different production lot or wear and fading, was it a uniform color or there were different types, although standardized? I mean that the UK museums show samples in dark gloss blue, sometimes with a bright yellow top, and others in a matt blue-grey, reflected in these samples:

there any strict rule?

And how were painted the Fleet Air Arm's ground vehicles?

T.I.A.

Reply to
Luca Beato

You could ask a question here;

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

I served in the RAF in the Fifties and vehicles were all in the blue colour shown in the photos. My impression is that the olive drab colour didn't come into use till the sixties or even seventies. Vehicles in the Middle East (Suez Canal Zone) were sand.

Pat Macguire

Reply to
Syke

Thanks for the link and the hint. Humbrol 77 seems the best choice for RAF. I'll ask for the FAA.

Reply to
Luca Beato

The pre-war (and post war) Blue was RAF Blue-Grey - the same colour the RN painted their Helicopters (Wessex, Sea King) in the 60s and

70s. the Yellow top was strictly post war Remove nospam to reply!!
Reply to
Dave Fleming