X-15-A-2 pilot dies

William J. "Pete" Knight died last Friday at the age of 74. Knight was the pilot of the modified X-15-A-2 that set the speed record of Mach 6.7 in 1967. That record stood until the Space Shuttle flew. The A-2 was severely damaged by heat during the flight, and parts melted and broke off. The A-2 was retired to the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. (The other surviving X-15, 66670, is in the Air & Space Mueum in Washington, DC). Tom Dougherty ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com)

Reply to
Ives100

Considering the kind of work he did, that's a right ripe old age. Who was it said that "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there ain't any old, bold pilots". I guess he is the exception that proves the rule or something like that.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

i don't think the one in gayton is on display. i sure don't remember it from 3 years ago.

i musta missed it.

Tim Keily

I saw it there about 3 months ago (in the pres. hanger), I've heard talk that the AFM is going to have a hanger that displays only experimental AC. The have enough X planes in their collection to do that.

Good day,

F Marion

Reply to
francis_marion

i guess in 2001 it was not out or i missed it. is the 52 x15 kit hard to find? i'm guessing it's oop.

It used to be in the Cold War/ Modern Hanger next to the Valkyre. It obviously was moved while they buit the new third Hanger. They do have an impressive x collection,and if you EVER ger the chance, try to take a behind the scenes tour. Used to volunteer as a set of eyes... walk around making sure noone got hurt and wear the cool wal-mart vest. It gave me an exsuse to go every weekend withouth the wife getting upset.

rich

Reply to
Rich

were you the guy i talked to about the emil? if so, you dais something about a gustav being restored, traded from somewhere i forget. i always talk to the volunteers. and i will hopefully visit this year.

Yeah, the Mongram kit of the B-52 with the X-15 has been out of production for at least a decade. I sold mine a couple of years ago for over $100. I believe it was made in the late eighties; keep your eyes peeled at swap meets or write Revellogram to re-pop it. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

was it out in the 60's...i seem to remember that.

The Monogra B-52 came out in the '60s with the "jet engine sound".

It wasn't until the '80s that Monogram added the launch rack and the X-15.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

thanks

You may be thinking of the small scale Revell B-52 which was reissued a couple of times with the X-15 added. The first reissue with the X-15 was an 'S' kit with the famous Revell swivel stand so that would be about the right time frame.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

crs....

Revell modified their 1/175th scale B-52 to carry an X-15. I haven't seen that kit for years. IIRC, the last couple issues of the 'standard' B-52 had a visible plug on th inside of the wing where the cut-out had been.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

so when is the bill b model detail book coming out? i want 2. (no, no sarcasm...)

(tried this as a personal reply, kicked back) Sorry, but that wasn't me. Sadly, we PCS'd from Dayton WAY back in '99... But I hope I can some day go back. Thanks for your interest though. Many of us loved what we were doing, and getting a chance to talk to anyone who was interested really made it that much better.

And I really can type, regardless what my previous post may have seemed.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Somewhere down deep in a box I have, IIRC, a DML 1/700 B-52 with the option of either a Pegasis Low orbit launcher or an X-15. I'll do the X-15 when I get around to it.

Allen

Reply to
Allen Epps