64 Bit XP-32 Bit SWX-3GB switch

FYI: For those of you using 64 bit machines, needing the 3Gb switch in 32 bit XP OS for Solidworks. When the 64 Bit OS XP is released in the near(?) future you may want to hold off until SWX is 64 bit(if ever). I happened across this tid bit in Microsoft Knowledge Article 294418. The 3Gb switch is not available when running a 32 bit app in a 64 bit operating system

Mike Eckstein

The 2-GB user-mode virtual memory limitation

64-bit programs use a 16-terabyte tuning model (8 terabytes User and 8 terabytes Kernel). 32-bit programs still use the 4-GB tuning model (2 GB User and 2 GB Kernel). This means that 32-bit processes that run on 64-bit versions of Windows run in a 4-GB tuning model (2 GB User and 2GB Kernel). 64-bit versions of Windows do not support the use of the /3GB switch in the boot options.
Reply to
Michael Eckstein

Thanks. Discouraging, but thanks.

Michael Eckste> FYI: For those of you using 64 bit machines, needing the 3Gb switch in 32

happened

Reply to
P.

Hell Cliff I don't know, I just push the keys, if they work, great. Check out the article, maybe you can make some sense of it. Whatever this means: The 2-GB user-mode virtual memory limitation;

64-bit programs use a 16-terabyte tuning model (8 terabytes User and 8 terabytes Kernel). 32-bit programs still use the 4-GB tuning model (2 GB User and 2 GB Kernel). This means that 32-bit processes that run on 64-bit versions of Windows run in a 4-GB tuning model (2 GB User and 2GB Kernel). 64-bit versions of Windows do not support the use of the /3GB switch in the boot options.

I think its saying you are stuck with 2+2 ??????????????????????

Mike

Reply to
Michael Eckstein

Thank you for that info, I was getting together a 64 bit kit, guess I will have to hang back for a while :-((

"Michael Eckstein" wrote in message news:7YV2e.6689$ snipped-for-privacy@fe02.lga...

Reply to
pete

Pete,

Do you have something faster in mind?

  1. Run on AMD64 FX55 or Opteron in 32 bit mode. Its as fast as it gets.
  2. Option to convert to 64 bits if SW gets the idea. If not, see option
  3. Answer this question: Why purchase a 64 bit OS if there is no software for it? The only advantage 64 bits will have is opening up memory to

4GB plus. Without the /3GB switch or its equivalent it will double the cost of ram because the OS will always steal half.

pete wrote:

Reply to
P.

"Michael Eckstein" a écrit dans le message de news:7YV2e.6689$ snipped-for-privacy@fe02.lga...

FYI, XP 64 bits went "Release To Manufacturing" yesterday (31-03-2005).

Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN

"Jean Marc BRUN" a écrit dans le message de news:424ce88a$0$11789$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr...

And Win XPx64 RC2 is available to downl (360 days trial) here:

Jean Marc BRUN