A SolidWorks Performance Story.

You can then hide the parent view, (I forgot to mention that)

Reply to
CS

Yes, that would be a workaround for most cropped views. It's silly that we need to do things like that though .

Reply to
rockstarwallyMYAPPENDIX

Yes, that would be a workaround for most cropped views. It's silly that we need to do things like that though .

Reply to
rockstarwallyMYAPPENDIX

We have found that flexible assemblies will bring SWX to it's knees... it just seems that it is too much for it to handle.

We use them occasionally just to test our design andf then turn them off when we're done. This has spead things up considerably compared to having them on.

Hope this helps

Reply to
D Short

Brain,

If you use any out of the box Parametric modeler to do progressive die design, you will have the same frustration in performance. Progressive die design will create lots of associativities in the assembly:

  1. A cutting punch will create offset relation inside the assembly for punch holder; stripper; die plate; backup and die set.
  2. A clearance for forming will create sketch external references.
  3. A fastener will create holes on different plates and centre and size will also create associativity.

To design progressive die effectively, you must have vertical solution to make your life easier. In 2D world, most people using Diemaker or Striker in order to make them more productive both in design and drafting of progressive die design. In 3D world, most of the systems have solution for progressive die design.

SolidWorks - 3DQuickPress; LogoPress Pro/E - PDX UG - PDW Visi - VisiProgressive

All these programs are designed for progressive die design to release the pain you have right now. 3D for progressive die design is not easy at all without vertical solution.

George.

Brian wrote:

software,

manipulate

features

modeled

ground

position.

Reply to
George

Well written Matt, I can only add, is that I have 6 years in SW and 0 experience with AutoCAD. One day, a few years ago, a co-worker of mine was away and called me at work to open an AutoCAD file of his on his computer and print it out for another co-worker. I opened Mechanical Desktop (MD) and then open the file. Then I just went by myself to print it and it was so bizarre - I couldn't figure out how to do it. So my co-worker walked me through it step by step. Now talk about a confusing unproductive program! As soon as I hung up with him, a fellow SW co-worker and I tried to make the simplest thing in MD and it was so weird. We never were able to make anything and I could not believe the complexity just to rotate a part or measure something.

When the MD person got back to work, I asked him to make some 3D models in MD so I could see what it took. Boy, if someone thinks MD is an improvement over SW, I feel sorry for him.

That's my 2 cents....

Dan Bovinich

Dan Bovinich

Your right George. We did have initial problems with that and thats a whole differn't story to be covered. We had alot of associativity errors in the beginning but became very proficient with the software. I can honestly say that it's a rare occasion to have any errors in our die assemblies since changing our assemblty thinking. You definitely have to pay attention to the items you listed. The awareness regarding assembly structure and of course the use of sub-assemblies has helped tremendously. The fact still remains however that the performance is still not up to par on the 2D side. Maybe including an add-in such as

3D QuickPress or LogoPress will aid in the automation of some of our tasks, but will it increase SolidWork's much needed improvements in its 2D envir> Brain,

Progressive

solution

stretched

fixtures),

everything

Reply to
Brian

Just out of curiosity, how many springs in the assy do you have modeled as helical sweeps? If you RMB on the name of the assy in the feature mgr, and select "Show update holders", how many do you have? How many circular relations have you modeled in? How many "->?" or "->x" symbols? These are The primary problems that die designers run into. Unbridled incontext and infinite detail.

I mean if it "rocks" it must be good, right?

Reply to
waffle