Addins with SW2008 64 Bit

The Addin programs I wrote a couple of years ago won't work now that we've updated to 64 bit Solidworks 2008. Does anyone have any fixes, suggestions or just general words of encouragement?

Reply to
yawdro

Your addin is a dll, which is dynamically LINKED to a 64bit EXEcutable, so it must be 64 bits too... So "all it takes" is to recompile your addins in 64 bits with a 64 bits compiler (Visual Studio 2005...) If you wrote your addin in clean C++, it should be straightforward. If it's in Visual Basic 6, well, you'll have to convert it to .NET... OR to copy/paste it to a VBA macro, which will run in 32 and 64 bits thanks to SolidWorks exploit to run the VBA interpreter (which is 32 bits because MS doesn't want to update it to 64...) from within SW 64 bits. Who knows how long this will last ...

Support Python as the next scripting language for SolidWorks ;-)

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

Thank you for your quick response. VB6 is all i have available right now. I guess I'll need to talk to my boss to see if I can get an upgrade!

Also, just to make sure I'm understanding fully, with some users still running on 32 bit, I'll need one version for 32 bit, AND one for 64 bit?

Reply to
yawdro

Correct. one 32 bits version AND one 64 bits. BTW, that's why SW ships special versions of Cosmos and PDMWorks for

64 bits : they are "just" addins ;-)

IMHO, if your app is in VB6, you'd better transform it in a VBA macro, which is the same language with only a few unsupported things (essentially menu/toolbar support). So you won't have to ask your boss for money, won't have to learn VB.NET which is fairly different from VB6, and you'll have a single version to maintain...

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti