BOM FORMAT

I have been tasked with taking a SolidWorks Bill of Material and importing it into a third party database. I don't know Solidworks so I have some questions concerning output format of the BOM.

Is it possible to format the output to a text file with defined column widths? For example:

PART NUMBER DESCRIPTION QTY UM

1234 Short Description 001 200 4567 Extra Long Description for Example 023 210

I would like to specify everything from column 1 to 15 as the part number,

16 to 47 as the description, etc.

Also Excel which seems to be closely tied to SolidWorks truncates any part number with leading zeros. '005612' shows up as '5612'. I need to import any leading zeros.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
the Moderator

My column example did not format correctly in my original post. Sorry for the confusion.

Reply to
the Moderator

You can save it from SWX as a csv file, open it in Excel and re-export it as a space-delimited text file.

If possible, I would have thought it would be better to get your database to read the comma-separated file directly.

John H

Reply to
John H

Thanks, that seems to work.

Normally a comma delimited file would work, but there are an unknown number of commas in the description field. I have to parse all of that out and in come cases that is problematic.

I still don't know what to do about the leading Zeros on some parts. Is there a way to set the part number column properties to 'text' instead of 'general' prior to exporting to excel?

Reply to
the Moderator

I do this all the the time, export as csv, and then open it in excel via a macro. I made a macro with a keyboard shortcut to make excel go to the predefined folder for the csv and open it. This macro then hides certain columns, set the column width to all the others, changes cell properties to text due to leading zeros, changes font for head lines and so on. Finally it fills in header and footer for my spare part lists and then open the dialoge box to save with a predefined folder already chosen. A neat and nice time saver.

// Krister

Reply to
Krister_L

In excel you could create a column that contains the formula =TEXT(A1,"000000") where "A1" is the location of each part number. This will create a text entry with padded zeros, depending on the number of zeros you used.

Reply to
askme