BOM query

Consider the following assembly structure:-

ASSY 1 DUMMY SUBASSY 1 REAL SUBASSY 1 PART 1 PART 2 PART 3 PART 4 PART 5 DUMMY SUBASSY 1 REAL SUBASSY 1 PART 1 PART 2 PART 3 PART 4 PART 5 PART 3 PART 4 PART 5

I've made a drawing of "ASSY1" and want to have a BOM on it. "DUMMY SUBASSY 1" only exists to simplify the structure of a repeating group of parts, and so there will be no separate drawing of it and I do not want it to appear in the BOM. I do however want its contents to appear in the BOM.

"REAL SUBASSY 1" has its own drawing and so I only want it to appear as a one-line item in the BOM for "ASSY 1". ie. its contents should not appear in this BOM, as they will be documented elsewhere.

The BOM should therefore look like this:-

Item Description Qty

1 REAL SUBASSY 1 2 2 PART 3 1 3 PART 4 3 4 PART 5 3

Can Solidowrks do this?

Regards, John H

Reply to
John H

I am using 2006.

  1. Create Indented Assemblies bill of materials.
  2. Select bom in drawing
  3. click Bom Contents from Property Manager
  4. Click on the Dummy Subassembly icon and the icon will go transparent.
  5. Click Apply and you are done =D
Reply to
Mr. Who

For the "REAL SUBASSY 1", I think you have to go into that file, then to the Configuration Properties (of whichever configuration you're using in the "ASSY 1"), and put a check next to "Do not show children when used as a subassembly".

Ken

Reply to
Tin Man

"Tin Man" wrote

Thanks - that helped a bit, as I wouldn't have thought to look in the Config properties (as opposed to the component's properties in the top level assy).

However, yours and Mr Who's suggestions together still don't apparently get me where I'd like to be.

To recap, what I'd like is :- Item Description Qty

1 REAL SUBASSY 1 2 2 PART 3 1 3 PART 4 3 4 PART 5 3

But what I'm getting is:- Item Description Qty

1 DUMMY SUBASSY1 2 1.1 REAL SUBASSY1 1 1.2 PART 4 1 1.3 PART 5 1 2 PART 3 1 3 PART 4 1 4 PART 5 1

I've left in the item "DUMMY SUBASSY1" in the table above to better illustrate what is happening, but I would in the real example hide this line using the BOM Contents dialogue box.

So the problem is that it is not treating the contents of DUMMY SUBASSY1 as if they were in the top level ASSY1 and so does not produce the correct "grand total" for each component.

Is there anything else I can try - apart from an enhancement request?

Regards, John H

Reply to
John H

Aha....the "parts only" option in the BOM properties is not all that it seems. Contrary to its name, it does include sub-assys under certain circumstances and it seems to yield the desired result.

It seems to list all parts from all levels of the hierarchy as a single-level BOM, PLUS it includes any assemblies that have the config option "do not show child components in BOM when used as a sub-assembly" ticked. This option seems to make the BOM consider the sub-assembly as a "part", ignoring its contents.

Regards, John H

Reply to
John H

Now THAT is a good tip (I hope I remember it). Thanks, John.

'Sporky'

John H wrote:

Reply to
Sporkman