After 13 years of Parametric 3D, my opinion...

The programs from my past seem endless;
Pro/E, EMS(Intergraph CLIX/OS predacessor to Solid Edge), SDRC
IDEAS-Master Series, CATIA, Unigraphics, Solid Edge, Inventor, some
small hitters and finally Solidworks.
I have used these packages to design everything from nuclear reactors
and nuclear application robotics to turbines for the Japanese.
All have their niche-strengths. Up to last year, I considered myself a
Unigraphics/Solid Edge fan.
I must admit, Solidworks is the most complete package for 90% of the
user requirements out there.
This is why it is popular. And popularity means support and further
development.
Now, as long as their kernel stays robust, they will continue to set
the bar.
WV
Reply to
western1812
Aaa! Well, you obviously haven't tried VX!!!!
Reply to
Jeff Howard
Considering that half the component technology that they use (and probably the two key componenets- Parasolid and D-Cubed) come from UGS...
Ken
Reply to
Ken
What I meant to say before prematurely hitting the "Send" button :)
Considering that half the component technology that they use (and probably the two key componenets- Parasolid and D-Cubed) come from UGS... each Solid Works sale lines UGS's pocket as well which helps promote the likes of UG NX and Solid Edge and furthers the development on the componenet technology. Even Inventor has to line UGS's pocket since they use D-Cubed :)
Ken
Reply to
Ken
No doubt that the Parasolid kernel is the one to use as it is the most stable.
I never had a turbine model crap out on me when I was using UG. The Spaceball control with 3D crystal-eyes was a spooky interface, like science fiction.
Besides CATIA's proprietary kernel, the 'other' kernel I have had stability problems with. If you slice a parabolic surface the wrong way you crashed and burned.
As long as Solidworks continues to use the Parasolid engine with their beautiful interface, they will do well.
VX...to me that is just nerve gas stored where I use to work near Umatilla.
Seroiusly, I have not tried VX so I can't offer an opinion. I would like to see more about it, but all my Google searches come up with nerve gas. Enlighten me.
WV
Reply to
western1812
It was meant in jest, but I'm sure someone will come along shortly and tell you all about it.
Curious about the "other" kernel; Granite or ACIS?
Reply to
Jeff Howard
ACIS has given me grief many times.
I won't say what product, just that the ACIS kernel has limitations.
WV
Reply to
western1812
Try in Google: VX cad or Varimetrix