My Views on Delcams Partmaker Acquisition

DelCAM is now going to be a force to be reckoned with in Swiss Screw machining part programming.

I've noted before that there are companies so desperate for Swiss Screw machine operators / setup people that thy are offering to train even those with no machining skills.

Be interesting to see how much pressure Delcam can put on DP Technology with an improved Partmaker. :>)

DP Technology has a closed / locked forum for Esprit. : (

Delcam doesn't play this pathetic game and supports open forums, demos, etc.

I see this acquisition as a very good thing for those sick of DP Technologies policy of closed forums and for those who want more options for Swiss Screw machine programming. (A field I know nothing about).

I also see this acquisition helping FeatureCAM gain larger market acceptance.

FeatureCAM has just released 2007 and I'm looking forward to evaluating its new toolpath editing, etc.

I continue to feel that Delcam PowerShape should be merged with FeatureCAM's Parasolid based modeler for a much more powerful SEAMLESS, UNIFIED, HYBRID modeling solution.

Jon Banquer Phoenix, Arizona

Reply to
jon_banquer

Jon Banquer Phoenix, Arizona

Reply to
jon_banquer

I can't believe you actually still post this garbage. Everybody here knows you are completely clueless. Go back to practical machinist where only 3/4 of the people know you are full of shit.

Reply to
Joe788

Esprit's closed forums policy keeps the focus on the CAM system. Some users can provide solution to posted problems faster than tech support if they see it first and have already found a solution. Esprit software support is the best I have had experience with.

You really think that these three packages cobbled together would constitute a "SEAMLESS, UNIFIED, HYBRID modeling solution"? Feature Cam and Delcam are still offered as different product lines. Partaker's interface is not remotely similar to either FeatureCam or Delcam. I wonder if the holding company will ever combine these development teams. The companies may have been purchased solely to capture each products revenue stream.

Esprit is a true CAM operating system. It is very exciting to see how fast Esprit is adding functionality. One of the new additions is Esprit FX that allows design intent from Solidworks menu tree to be passed directly to Esprit. Also you are not limited to one solid cad package (like CamWorks)

Company blurb...

ESRPIT FX Native support is planned for all six major Solids based CAD systems Catia, > DelCAM is now going to be a force to be reckoned with in Swiss Screw

Reply to
DL

Gary

Have fun, and good riddance!

Reply to
Black Dragon

Very creative! Taking my own post and misquoting me. No wonder you like JB.

Reply to
Joe788

At least he seems to have worked on his quoting...

Reply to
Bryce

How soon before Cliffy works on treating his NPD mental illness?

Should pretending to hoot like an owl as well as Internet stalking be added to the list of NPD symptoms?

Jon Banquer Phoenix, Arizona

Reply to
jon_banquer

Now if only he (and many others) would use a sig delimiter.

Reply to
Bryce

"Esprit's closed forums policy keeps the focus on the CAM system."

Esprit's closed forums policy is just another way to extort more money for yearly maintenance fees. This policy hurts DP from lost sales of new seats of Esprit more than it helps with increased revenue from forced maintenance.

"Esprit software support is the best I have had experience with."

It was very good for Esprit X when I was using it.

"You really think that these three packages cobbled together would constitute a "SEAMLESS, UNIFIED, HYBRID modeling solution"? "

Yes I do think it would be an excellent idea to combine them. I think Delcam could pull it off and create much better / much more complete modeler than FeatureCAM or PowerShape is now. While I may occasionally have disagreements with how Delcam does business, I don't feel Delcam has ever offered a cobbled together product. Not there style.

"Feature Cam and Delcam are still offered as different product lines."

FeatureCAM is already benefiting from starting to use toolpath routines that already existed in PowerMill.

"I wonder if the holding company will ever combine these development teams."

I don't know but I sure hope so.

"companies may have been purchased solely to capture each products revenue stream."

No doubt but I feel that there are long term benefits to be gained as well.

Thanks for the first thoughtful and insightful response in this tread in regards to the original topic.

Jon Banquer ( Unified, Seamless, Hybrid Modeling.) Phoenix, Arizona

Reply to
jon_banquer

Ya, it'd be nice if these threads wouldn't degenerate into a series of ad hominems.

Reply to
kurgan

In my evaluation of Esprit 2005 it had a Solidworks direct import function. It was advertised as a tool for automated re-importing of SW models that have changed since the last save. The problem is it based it only on the time/date stamp. If the designer made no changes but saved his part again, Esprit would reload that model regardless. The problem with it is if the programmer moves the part from the origional imported attitude, it came in again in the origional position. While most savy programmers know not to move the part but to create a work coordinate where you need it, many still do move the part which is the real problem I guess.

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill