Angle Specification

Ok this isn't a question about Solidworks, it relates to a tutorial in Sketchup... but I can't find the answer on the net or in Engineering books, so I'm thinking that it might be US terminology.

In the Sketcup tutorials they use "8:12" to specify an angle? What does this mean? What is the angle in decimal?

I'm sure there is a very simple answer to this.

Cheers.

Reply to
will

That terminology is common in construction, especially in roofing where "8:12" would indicate the slope as 8 units "rise" in 12 units "run". 8/12 is the inverse tangent of the angle.

Art W.

Reply to
Art Woodbury