First-angle, Third-angle Projection Conventions

I have been reading about the projection conventions and am not sure if I completely understand them. I know the third-angle convention is preferred in the US and Canada and the first-angle in Europe. I have also seen the descript that the object is above the screen in the first angle convention and below the screen in the third.

Say you are shining a light through a translucent object onto a screen. Is the third-angle projection what you see on the screen from the object side and the first angle projection what you see if you stand on the opposite side of the screen from the object - or is it the other way around?

Many thanks in advance, Peter.

Reply to
PeterOut

Your assumption is correct..

Reply to
Mason

...but not in the United Kingdom. Most went 3rd angle a long time ago.

Stand there, look at the elevation and draw, at your feet, what you see.

Reply to
no-spam-for-hkjffekafphdkdoemehepegkppboihac

Your assumption is correct..

Reply to
Mason

Don't know where you got this "...but not in the United Kingdom. Most went 3rd angle a long time ago." BS 308 is STILL talks and reproduces ALL drawing and references for 1st Angle and so do ALL tutorials and engineering drawing books that are produced in the UK

Also DEFAULT for the UK version of MDT and INVENTOR is 1st angle when producing layouts.

Reply to
Mason

Your UK and my UK must be different countries. I have not worked in an engineering company using 1st angle projection for 30 years or more, notwithstanding what 308 says. My last employment (now retired) used German motors exclusively and it was a real pain-in-the-neck to get the motor oriented correctly using the line illustrations in the motor catalogue (:-)) We usually ended up with at least one machine with the motor shaft on the wrong side.

Reply to
no-spam-for-hkjffekafphdkdoemehepegkppboihac

ARGUE WITH BSI NOT ME.

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

Reply to
Mason

Please don't shout at me. I wasn't arguing with anyone, just stating my own experience, as were you.

Brian.

Reply to
no-spam-for-hkjffekafphdkdoemehepegkppboihac
*snip*

My question: What's 308 ? I assume it's some standard or the like.

Dr Fléau

Reply to
Dr Fleau

Yes. British Standard 308 (BS308) goes back a long way!