HELP...vx question

Sorry to ask this on the solidworks forum, but there is not a vx usenet forum. My question relates to extruding surfaces. In VX you don't "Thicken" loke you do in solidworks, rather you extrude the surface directly. I was wondering if anybody here knows how to specify extruding the surface normal to the original. There doesn't seem to be an option "etrude 'normal'". What I end up having to do is extrude the surface in more or less the cartesian direction that I'm looking for. This is less than ideal for me because it does not represent what the true solid thickness will be in the final object (in this cas yacht hulls). Does anybody here know what to do? Thanks in advance. -Eli

Reply to
yachtman

Eli,

You probably won't find anyone here with your answers. In fact, the VX user community in general is pretty thin. There are a couple of people at "alt.machines.cnc" that use VX for mold design and CAM.

I thought VX came with about a hundred pounds worth of manuals.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

Kinda scary, actually.

iDunno a thing about VX myself, but have you looked thu Help, or whatever documentation, for "offset"? (Google for VX + surface + offset turns up a lot of hits.)

Reply to
Jeff Howard

jon banquer and his seamless, hybrid crapola probably knows the answer to this. Haven't heard from that dude lately.

Reply to
ms

He'd have no clues. As usual. after all, he never actually used any system for anything at all beyond a 15 minute canned demo.

Post to alt.machines.cnc. IIRC There are some VX users there.

Reply to
Cliff

Thanks. There is indeed quite a stack of manuals provided, but the descriptions of individual functions aren't that great. The program can do everything I'm asking it to do, it's really an issue of understanding how everything is organized in VX. Anyways, thanks for your responses.

-Eli

Reply to
yachtman

In VX you

I know nothing about VX. From the SW viewpoint, you might have to offset the original surface, then build surfaces between the edges, possibly knit the surfaces, and finally do whatever it is in VX that tells it a closed set of surfaces is a solid.

Jerry Steiger