Area moment of inertia and coordinate system

I'm using SolidWorks to verify some calculation of centroids and area moments of inertia. In doing so I sketch on the front plane and position the sketch with respect to the coordinate system, the same way as in my calculations. When extruding the sketch and subsequently using Tools -> Section Properties the centroid always comes out correctly and the same goes for the area moment of inertia about the centroid axes.

SolidWorks also has output named: "Moments of inertia of the area, at the output coordinate system". However this does not correspond to the area moment of inertia about the x,y,z axes. I have tried to solve this by adding my own coordinate system, but this doesn't change the result of the SolidWorks calculation.

Does anyone here know how to get the "Moments of inertia of the area, at the output coordinate system" to actually be the same as the area moment of inertia about the x,y,z axes?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
jakob

Instead of moving your sketch around the base CSYS, create a new CSYS where you need it. When you have additional CSYS's available, you can select them in a combobox in the measure tool dialog.

Reply to
That70sTick

Thank you for the reply. I have already tried this multiple times. Placing the sketch whereever I see fit and then adding a new coordinate system for fit my sketch. The result remains different from the actual area moment of inertia.

Reply to
jakob