auto-trace?

Anybody having any luck with this in SW 2008, sp2?
I tried it for the first time today and did not get anything usable. All I
had was a .bmp file and the resolution was a paltry 72 dpi, so I am guessing that is a big part of my problem. However, before I make a lot of noise, I thought I would ask to see what others do for this sort of thing.
I am being asked to put a logo on an inventor's part file before designing a mold for it. I don't know how the logo was created. My wife opened it up in her Photoshop and she said it looked all jagged-bitmappy was the exact quote. Her time is expensive -:), so I think I am better off kicking it back to my customer. Any hints on what I should ask for?
Thanks.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I'd ask for at least 600 dpi.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

They probably expect you to deal with it.
Bob
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 16:51:10 -0700, "John Kreutzberger"

Ask for a copy of the original art.
It is unlikely the original is 72 DPI.
Tom
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
John,
The Autotrace function does work best when you have clean, hi-res artwork; you know the saying "garbage in, garbage out." Also, Autotrace really works best on "fill" artwork, that is, it's not a good solution for converting a scanned AutoCAD drawing. It is good when you have solid fill areas that Autotrace can build an outline around.
If you have a photo-editing program like PhotoShop or Corel PaintshopPro, it helps to do some pre-processing of the image to clean it up, get good contrast, brightness, and de-saturate (black and white) if appropriate. Make sure you save out as a lossless format and not jpeg.
Your first avenue should always be to try to get the original artwork file. What's best is if you can get the vector file; i.e. Adobe Illustrator file and open it directly - this will always be better quality than what AutoTrace can do. If not, try some of the above suggestions. Even if AutoTrace does not give you a perfect result, but something more like 80 percent, you can then alter/correct the remaining 20% of the problems.
Hope this helps
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Thanks Mark , Tom, et al.
The file is `fill' artwork-just black&white solid lettering. I don't have any of those packages you mention loaded locally. My wife is a digital artist and has Painter, Photoshop and some others but not Illustrator. (I know she used to have Corel Draw ages ago, but don't know if she still does.) I may need to hire her to clean it up and output the highest res version she can come up with. The inventor who provided this .bmp file is not being real co-operative.
Does anybody know of a graphics package that can output dxf? I truly think that is my best bet and then I don't have to worry about Auto-trace at all.
Thanks again, jk
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 10:10:05 -0700, "John Kreutzberger"

I used Corel Draw, been some years but it has a trace function (OCR) and it will export DXF.
http://tinyurl.com/6d9n3a
I am sure there are a lot of programs out there. Here is one you can down load a trial version of ArtCAM that will convert it.
http://www.deskam.com/deskart.html
Raster to Vector threads alt.machines.cnc
http://tinyurl.com/5u8csd
Raster to Vector threads comp.cad.SolidWorks
http://tinyurl.com/6mpuxd
Tom
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Hey Tom-yu da man.
That was exactly what I needed. Took me a little time to figure out how to use it, but I was able to vectorize the image and ultimately make my dxf file.
Thank you very much for the tip/link.
jk
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Illustrator outputs a dxf
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

...and SolidWorks opens Illustrator files. In my experience this gives cleaner geometry, and as an inhernetly lazy person it also saves a step. Ed
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.