Benchmarking

Can anybody point me to some useful benchmarking software - and more importantly, a database of results?

I have some users who need to upgrade their machines because of perceived slow running - they are just over two years old now (the machines, not the users!). But we don't want to throw money away and then find that we were already still in the upper quartile for machine performance.

The machine spec is currently Dell Precision 650 Workstation, with single Intel Xeon 3.0 GHz processor, 2Gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro FX500 card, 142Gb total disk space (all solidworks data stored on a HP Proliant server).

Running SolidWorks 2006, SP 3, Ship-in-a-bottle comes out at the following;

Test1: Shaded far right, HLR checked: 40.21 seconds Test2: Shaded far right, HLR unchecked: 36.76 seconds Test3: Shaded far left, HLR checked: 39.09 seconds Test4: Shaded far left, HLR unchecked: 40.29 seconds

The problem is, of course, that we have no way of knowing if this is fast or slow, or what score we should aim for.

All help appreciated.

Pete.

"P" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

I just got a new workstation and saw a fairly significant improvement, but not as much as I'd have thought.

My Ship-in-a-bottle scores average around 29-30sec depending on the various settings. My old machine was at about 45 seconds.

Specs on new workstaion for comparison to your. AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+ (2.2GHZ I believe) NVIDIA Quadro FX 3450

3.0GB DDR RAM Seagate 10k rpm 36GB drive (all data is stored on server)

All told, the update cost around $3k for the PC and and I worked in an extra $850 for the Dell 24" LCD (money very well spent). The native resolution on this is perfect for Solidworks.

Even with the better specs, I don't "feel" that much faster over the course of a day. I do notice it when it matters most though...converting large STEP files and rebuilding large complicated models. The dual core is nice becuase I can let Solidworks work on a file conversion while writing a report or working on a BOM in Excel and see a slowdown. I do wish Solidworks was mutli-threaded. When I get some time, I'll try out the 64-bit SW beta and see how that goes.

MHill

Reply to
MHill

Paul Kellner, of Engineering Transport LLC has a number of nice benchmarks and links to benchmarks at <

He doesn't, unfortunately, have a log of results.

One of our IT guys just built a new machine for us. It's an Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, 4 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX1400, Western Digital Raptor 10K RPM 80GB HD. The dual core doesn't help much on SolidWorks, but is nice when you're multiplexing. The rest of the equipment probably doesn't have much effect on ship in a bottle. It took 26.7 seconds for your test 1 and 20.7 for test 3.

Jerry Steiger

I have posted results here and on the SW forum, just not on the benchmark website. Probably should, but then the dog might not get fed.

Reply to
TOP