Can SolidWorks create a JT file?

I would like to know if SolidWorks can produce a JT file. It is tightly woven with Parasolid so I think it would.

Info on JT is here:

Ken

Reply to
Ken

No.

JT is a Unigraphics format, not Parasolid (though owned by UGS).

Use eDrawings instead!!

Ken wrote:

Reply to
asow34

JT is not a Unigraphics format. It is a open, lightweight viewing format created by UGS that is capable of incorporating Parasolid data for precise measurement (hence the comment of it being tightly woven with Parasolid which you mistook for "being" Parasolid). It is used by many vendors besides UGS, including PTC. I am not interested in E-Drawings as the only vendor using it is SolidWorks. I want something a bit more universal.

Reply to
ken

Hi Ken,

Like all proprietary viewing formats, the creator (in this case UGS) makes the publishing libraries available to other vendors - edrawings is available for all CAD including UG, as is DWF by Autodesk and 3DXML by Dassault. It just so happens that JT is prolific in automotive & aerospace because UGS "own" GM, Pratt & Whitney etc...

Rgds.

ken wrote:

Reply to
asow34

There are two products available that will convert SolidWorks files to JTOpen format.

Right Hemisphere Deep Explorer CAD Edition Theorem JT Cadverter for SolidWorks

Apparently, there are varying "levels" of the JT format. AFAIK, Right Hemisphere only outputs a lightweight model for visualizatiion, but the price is reasonable - ~$2500. Theorem's translator may be more robust, but it also costs a lot more - $~5-8k.

Ken wrote:

Reply to
jimsym

It's not a proper comparison to say jt is just UGS's version of eDrawings, because jt files can be inserted directly into assembly files of NX, I-DEAS and probably SE too.

Wouldn't it be nice if SWX allowed you to send a highly compressed eDrawings file o someone else who could then add it into their SWX assembly.....

John H

Reply to
John H