Neutral File Format - *.JT

bob z. has been assigned the task of converting a customer supplied model from .jt format to something a bit more friendly.

obviously (or maybe not so), swx doesn't read this file directly. bob z. has never heard of this file format before, but if you read this, they make it seem like you can't live without it:

more infoz:
bob z. needs to open this file and if any of you fine people out there have any ideas, please share with good ol' bob z.!

bob z. p.s. it takes intelligence to find intelligence

Reply to
bob zee

These guys are idiots. They are trying to create an *open* standard for

3D data (an admirable goal), yet they charge you tens of thousands of dollars to help them push their standard?!
*Plus* yearly maintenance fees!?!? WTF?

All of the "open" standards in my main industry (software and hardware) are just that. Open and "free". There are many competing companies working together to make their "customer's" lives easier by agreeing on one standard - like this one

It is incredible that UGS thinks they can charge such fees to create their own standard. If they were *really* interested in creating a standard to make their customer's lives easier it would be free, there would be free tools available to read/write it, and you would see other companies like Dassault and Autodesk on board as well.

I've a mind to start my own, free standard out of spite. ;o)

Good luck bob z... M.

Reply to
Markus Wankus

The viewer for jt files IS free......see

The crappy bit is that you have to pay if you want to be able to measure the model.

I used to use it with I-Deas and the files are reasonably compact. The nice thing is that UGS's 3 CAD products (NX, I-Deas, Edge) allow you to add jt files into an assembly directly, without conversion. It can therefore be used as a tool for making "super-lightweight" assemblies on very large projects. The Solidworks equivalent would be being able to add an e-drawing or into an assembly.

Reply to
John H

Yeah - I realize the viewer is free, but there are tons of free 3D viewers out there - eDrawings, ModelPress, SolidViewLite, AutoVue, even Java-based 3D viewers. An "open" standard isn't much use if you don't have access to the standard itself. The whole point of an open standard is so you can write an importer/exporter for it, write a converter for your company's PLM system, whatever. You make it open so more people will use it, and it will grow and become useful. As far as I can see "JT Open" is just a clever name to make money off of membership fees. "Pay us to use our file format! We'll give you a free viewer!"

The link to PLM XML *is* interesting however:

Markus.

Reply to
Markus Wankus