Cosmosworks 2007 question

How do I restrain the feet of a freestanding structure on to a floor and still allow the feet to raise off the floor due to structural deflections when loads are applied. The other problem associated with this is that Cosmos will not run if it does not have enough restraints.

Reply to
Anonymous

allow the feet to raise off the floor due to structural deflections when loads are applied.

not have enough restraints.

This is a contact problem. Since you probably don't know which foot will rise off the floor you will have to have springs or use the soft spring option to help with initial contact. Generally you have to start by setting up load cases to just bring the feet into contact and then ramp up the loads to get the behavior you expect.

Normally I start contact by using enforced displacement to get the contact elements to touch and then remove them an go with force BC to carry on the analysis.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

Model the floor, and apply acceleration (gravity) to keep your structure on the floor. All the world is springs.

Reply to
That70sTick

Thanks for the gravity tip. I cannot determine what restraints are available to allow the legs to slide along the floor plane, do not penetrate the floor plane and allow the legs to lift from the floor plane.

Reply to
Anonymous

along the floor plane, do not penetrate the floor plane and allow the legs to lift from the floor

Use contact.

Pick two opposing faces and apply contact.

TOP

Reply to
TOP