RE: 2k3 & COSMOS

I'm having some problems with COSMOS meshing a project. First time for everything. Modeled a frame and a lifter that are to be SS sheet metal for the most part. Running 2KPro with 1Mb RDRAM memory, 2.4 P4 with 533Mz bus. The lifter is basically a sheet metal part, welded together that I've modeled as a solid with hollow sections. It has offset loads and restraints. '03 works fine and COSMOS pulls up without problem and seems to be working with the animation running but after 3 1/2 hours it still hasn't meshed. The frame has the same problem except after 1 1/2 hours, it hasn't meshed. Am I doing something wrong? Or just not waiting long enough? I can send files if someone is interested. R. Wink

Reply to
R. Wink

Hello,

You've probably got some very very small faces somewhere that need the mesh to be extremely small. Check with various SWX tools for short entities and then either remove them or decrease the mesh size for those areas alone and retry. Or try a much simpler model (ie remove fillets and draft and ...) and work up to the fully detailed model.

Hope this helps, Jerry Forcier

R. W>I'm having some problems with COSMOS meshing a project. First time for

everything. Modeled a frame and a lifter that are to

P4 with 533Mz bus. The lifter is basically a

sections. It has offset loads and restraints.

the animation running but after 3 1/2 hours

hours, it hasn't meshed. Am I doing something

Reply to
Jerry Forcier

everything. Modeled a frame and a lifter that are to

P4 with 533Mz bus. The lifter is basically a

sections. It has offset loads and restraints.

with the animation running but after 3 1/2 hours

hours, it hasn't meshed. Am I doing something

If the major dimensions of your thin-walled part are MUCH greater than the wall thickness (i.e. 2'x2' sheet of .05" thickness), you're going to have a huge mesh if you use solid elements.

The better solution for sheetmetal parts is to use a shell mesh. You can select surfaces and apply different thickness values to them, but if you have any important areas that aren't easily approximated with a shell element (blocky areas), you have to stick with a solid mesh.

If you'd like to send the files my way, I can take a look. Email me and I'll give you an address that has room for large files.

Reply to
Denny Trimble