cosmosworks meshing problems

I'm having difficulties meshing an assembly of 11 parts. The meshing completes without errors but when I display the mesh, the assembly is not complete. Failure diagnoses shows nothing.

I've tried meshing the components individually and they mesh properly. I would understand it if meshing would drop a part completely from the assembly because of gaps in mating but why would it drop only a portion of a part?

Reply to
Walms

First of all check the KnowledgeBase articles on the SRAC website.

Second, when, in an assembly, one part will mesh and others won't although each meshes on its own the following procedure may help:

  1. In the SW assembly add split lines everywhere one part imprints on another. This can be tedious and time consuming.
  2. Check each part after splitting for meshability. Pay attention to any sliver geometry you might have created. Note the default mesh size for each component.
  3. If the assembly still won't mesh on it's own use mesh control to cause each part to have the mesh size you noted in 2.
  4. Adjust the tolerance up and down. The higher tolerance will cause the mesher to grab nodes across an > I'm having difficulties meshing an assembly of 11 parts. The meshing
Reply to
kellnerp

I've found most assembly meshing problems are caused by an interference between parts. Use Tools->Interference Detection to see if your assembly has any interferences, which will cause COSMOS to puke. Otherwise, reduce your mesh size, and watch out for mesh controls that leave different mesh sizes on touching faces of different parts. COSMOS has to match up the meshes on touching faces, and if your geometry is complex near these faces, it can cause problems.

Reply to
Denny Trimble

I'd also suggest to save assembly as a part and merge all bodies, then try meshing it. Meshing part is easier because mesher does not have to follow boundaries between assembly components. As long as you don't have different materials, meshed part or meshed assembly will produce equivalent FE models.

Paul

Reply to
Paul_K

Thanks for the tips guys. I was finally able to get a good mesh by controlling local areas with a smaller mesh. It takes 1 hour to compute...mind you, it's better than waiting 1/2 hour to find an incomplete mesh! Looks like I'll need a second computer. Gee, I wonder if that would be breaking my license agreement? or is it considered the 2nd computer is running Cosmos not Solidworks? Oh well. it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Reply to
Walms