Re: ProE 2000i2 Refresh Problems

Install newer display drivers.

Also might want to add 1023MB of RAM - one GB would be a lot better :)

Dave

When I have 4 windows up of small assemblies, the final window doesn't > refresh correctly. When I pan, spin, and zoom, it takes a second for > it to refresh. First the screen goes blank, then the part appears > from the top of the image down. Considering the system that I'm > running, this doesn't seem to be a hardware problem. > > I've set the zoom to fit feature to "no", and have changed the setting > on my desktop to not display the items in a window when dragged. Is > this version of proE truly limited in that effect? > > Here are the technical aspects of my computer- > I'm running a Dell Workstation 350 with a 2.66Ghz Pentium IV > processor. It has 1 MB of RAM, and has an ATI Fire GL E1 video > driver. > > Any help would be greatly appreciated! > > Thanks! > Colin Murray > Square 1 Product Development > Chicago, Il 60610
Reply to
David Geesaman

Colin, I understand the frustration, but it has more to do with what you expect than what's realistic. You say, for example

Yes and no. There is no kind of program that stresses the computational, storage and display systems of computer more than engineering graphics. If you saw the simultaneous equations that are the nuts and bolt of the behind-the-scenes descriptive geometry needed to 'spin' a model, you'd be amazed that it could do it at all. "Fast" is completely relative. And, believe me, when the computers are 20 times faster, you'll still be wondering why you can't go 5 miles an hour faster than light speed.

Consider, also, that a true graphical representation of geometry, aggregated into assemblies and given Pro/e's amazing associativity, requires first checking whether any part in any interrelated assembly has changed and if so, what affect it has on the display of the active assembly/model. When you have four assemblies open, this requires a great deal of checking and possibly, some regeneration before spin/pan/zoom can take place.

The problem of assemblies is serious enough that PTC has devised an entire top-down modelling strategy to deal with the complexity. It can involve such things as skeleton models to which parameters and models are tied; it can involve the use of generic part/assembly standins, such as simplified representations and shrink wrap models; the extensive use of layers to manage datum features because blanking them greatly reduces the calculation overhead involved in spinning a part/assembly.

In short, if you do not have some of these optimizing techniques mastered, onscreen model handling may be slower than it need be. You'd be doing yourself and your company a huge favor to get up to Rand on Thoreau Dr in Schaumburg or PTC on Warrenville Rd in Lisle and take a course in top-down modelling. You'd know better what to expect from the software and how to optimize assemblies for easier handling. No, sorry, there is no config.pro option MAKE_IT_SPIN_FASTER.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes