COSMOSXpress CTD

I have a fairly complex model of a site hate that I need to run a few very simple FEA studies on. If I pick COSMOSXpress from the tools drop down menu, SolidWorks Crashes To Desk top with the usual "unhandled error" message.

I have had another design house take the same model but imported via parasolid and mesh it on Cosmos Works6 and it fails to mesh, they have tried various settings but admit they are not very experienced with meshing more complex models.

Can anyone suggest why SW is CTD or how I can find out why the model will not mesh in CosmosWorks6

SW2003 SP3

Regards Simon Miller

Reply to
Simon Miller

This is a part file - not an assembly - right? Cosmosxpress will only deal with part files. Are you using much in the way of surfaces in this model? Maybe there is a way to simplify the model in a way that would not effect the answers you are trying to get. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

Adam.

Reply to
Adam Reif

Yes its a part file.

I have thought about simplifying the model but until I can find out where to simplifying it, it's going to be very hit and miss!

Reply to
Simon Miller

What's a "site hate"?

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

Site Hat is the UK equivilent of I think a Construstion Hat, hat used on construction/building sites. We are developing a very low weight site hat, but must conform to the current British Standard. Was hoping to use some FEA studies but meshing is proving tricky!

Reply to
Simon Miller

OK, so you've probably got some very interesting contours. We've had some trouble getting Cosmos to mesh parts that were more organic in shape. According to one of the other guys on the forum, this was probably due to very small faces and sliver edges, which makes sense given the shapes we had. You might want to check to see the sizes of your smallest edges and faces, then try to clean up any problem areas.

Am I right to assume you are using shell elements?

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

Shell elements are not available in COSMOSExpress, ther are available in COSMOSWorks. I don't know what exactly do you want to calculate, if non-linear or dynamic response then even full COSMOSWorks won't be enough , use DesignSTAR in that case.

Paul

Reply to
Paul_K