Creating a hardware database

I am one of the many people who are building their own CAD workstation. I propose that we make some kind of database of MB, memory, processor and video card combos that can be browsed. I am getting ready to build a system with a Quadro FX 1400 and I can't find anywhere what motherboards it has been tested with! Very frustrating. Anyway, I appreciate your comments. System proposed so far is: (WXPPSP2)

Core 2D E6850 Proc GA-P35-DS3L MB

2x DDR2-800 Crucial 1G sticks (certified on GB MB) Quadro FX1400

So far I have found that it is easy to find matched proc/MB/mem but terrible to find VC compatibility.

Love to hear your comments.

Reply to
MClemons

When choosing / recommending HW for SolidWorks, I alwas have a look at

which contains SPEC results benchmarks. They used to have more lines in the past, when it was based on SW 2005...

The "cost per composite" shows the (inverse) bang/bucks ratio, so you can choose for the most efficient solution that fits your budget, and the try to build a similar machine for less money...

Choose the VC according to SolidWorks requirements, and a good motherboard selected from tomshardware.com, they will always pair up nicely.

RAM speed is most often overlooked, while it's a crucial element for performance. Same for hard disks : I prefer 70 Gb rotating at 10'000rpm than 300Gb on a slow disk.

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti