Data management question

Do the various systems people use to manage SWX (PDMW, Conisio etc) require the drawing revision to be kept in sync with the revision of its related part/assy?

i.e. If you up-issue a drawing because you've changed the surface finish / added a note (or anything else that does not change the model) does it create a new version and/or revision of the related model?

TIA John H

Reply to
John H

no

no

Reply to
matt

Thanks Matt. What systems does your answer apply to? - or are you pretty sure they all work that way?

On a separate but related issue, do any of the systems improve on SWX's woeful file protection i.e. if you only have a part/assy/drg referenced, does it stop you from making any changes to it until you have taken ownership of the file?

Regards, John H

Reply to
John H

I've never seen a system that worked that way by default (that is all the systems I've used don't rev dependent documents when the parent doc up revs). I've used PDMW, SmarTeam, Conisio, Product Center. They all manage files individually. There are techniques you can use to make that happen, and certainly programming, but

No, not that I'm aware of.

Reply to
matt

PDMW has 2 options to "help" with this.

- set filesystem RO attribute if not owner

- bind ownership to Solidworks RW/RO access

hth kenneth

Reply to
kenneth

Funny you should ask. It is day 4 of dbWorks administrator training and we just went through how to keep parts and drawings in sync revision wise. It is a setting in dbWorks that can be turned on and off. I was never able to do this in PDMWorks.

Reply to
TOP