Drawbridge

Hi there, I'm designing a special purpose machinery that has - for want of a better phrase - two drawbridge leaves. I'm trying to constrain them using limit angle mates so that they both start off aligned horizontally and then rise together to a limit of say 10 degrees from the horizontal. I've put in a limit angle constraint of 180 to 170 but when I move one leaf up the other leaf drops down (it's still at 180 you see, so it isn't in effect doing anything wrong). Is there a way of making sure that they both only go above horizontal and not below? Thanks, David

Reply to
david

Can you add a gear mate so they behave as if they were tied with gears?

WT

Reply to
WT

Hi David,

Use the gear mate. First of all add a constraint so that the drawbridge is level, then suppress this mate, then add the gear mate to the two rotating axis of the leaves. Use a face or a sketch line and set an angle limit mate. It is best NOT to use an angle that use's 0 deg as a limit, as it locked my assembly.

Pete If you send me an email address I will send you my very basic model as a guide.

Reply to
pfarnham

You could create a sketch with the required mechanism behaviour and insert it as an envelope part in the assembly. Then you would only have to work one leaf and use a horizontal constraint to get the other leaf to follow.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

I like a symmetry mate to link (2) parts to mirror behavior. Right plane with the orgin of each other part. (or top plane or axis.)

Blair

Reply to
Blair Sutton