driving dimensions from other parts in an assembly

I have a 3 part assembly. Here is a picture of 2 of the parts.

The blue boss is concentric to the fixture (not shown). the bar is set in place, what I cant figure out is the relationship of making the roundbar concentric with the hole it is protruding (the 3.682 dim). How can I make that dimension driven by say the centerline of the boss to the center of the hole on the left?

Reply to
tnik

tnik wrote in news:48454ea7$0$20167 $ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Try designing the parts around a layout sketch in the assembly.

See; Help File\Layout sketches in assemblies (sw07)

rod

Reply to
Rod Morningwood

There are some interesting things you can do with in-context features. Suppose you have a dimension in a part that is driven by the distance between two unrelated other parts in an assembly. You want the dimension in the part to follow that assembly distance.

And we will assume that you can't just create an in-context reference in place to drive the part.

In the part:

  1. Mate it in the assembly as needed.
  2. Edit the part in the assembly.
  3. Create a 3D sketch in the part.
  4. Create a 3D line between the two driving parts in the assembly.
  5. Place a dimension on the line. (It will be driven)
  6. Create an equation in the part using the dimension from the 3D line to drive the dimension on the part.

As a general rule you can use a side sketch as a kind of variable holder and have as many lines with dimensions as you want. This is how Ship In a Bottle works.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

You can also use the equations in the assembly.

Deepak

Reply to
Engineer