Finding the Center of a Spherical Surface

i stuck this image up. it's a Solidworks screen image of a solid whose spherical surface is a map of Antarctica.

now my challenge is finding the center of the spherical surface.

i think that if i could place lines normal to the "inside" of the spherical surface, at the intersection of just 2 lines i would find the center of the sphere. i think.

how to do that in Solidworks i am not yet sure of.

the lines highlighted green in the image show the original direction of extrusion of the solid.

anybody that could help me with this analytic geometry/ Solidworks kind of question i'd really appreciate it.

Reply to
wwswimming

Use a 3D sketch to place two points anywhere on the spherical surface (use coincident constraint between point and surface). Create axes through the points and normal to the surface. The intersection of two axes will give you the spere center.

Reply to
That70sTick

Assuming the map is projected onto a sphere and not on an Elipsoid (since the earth is not a true sphere). Another way to tackle this may be to:

  1. Copy the spherical surface (surface offset at zero)
  2. Use a surface untrim on that surface. You may need to up the percentage.
  3. A couple options: You can repeat step 2 with high percentages until the surface turns into a sphere, but it may not be neccessary: Notice that the surface untrim should create two (of the four) edges that are planar to the center of the sphere. Create a plane using the end points and midpoint of one of those edges. This will create a plane running through the center of the sphere. Open a sketch on that plane and convert the edge into a arc. This should locate the center.

I mocked this up and imported similar data into solidworks and it worked.

Hope it works for you.

Dan S.

Reply to
Dan S.

Try this,

Create a plane intersecting the spherical surface, then select that palne and use Tools/Sketch Tools/Intersection Curve. That gives you a planar scetch with an intersection curve. The center of that curve is the center of the sphere.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Stefan

How can you be sure the plane intersects the center?

Reply to
That70sTick

You're right, you have to make sure that a normal vector to the surface is on that plane. Easy way to check that is to try to dimension the intersection curve. If SW recognizes it as an ark (not as an ellipse) it means you're sectioning thru the center.

Reply to
Stefan

Your approach (3d sketch & 2 axes) works faster. I just tried it.

Reply to
Stefan

Here's an example based from the responses.. (I actually did it last night but did not have time to send it)

..

Reply to
zxys