fryrender SWAP

FYI,... this just came my mailbox...

(click on fryrender Swap)

...pretty sweet!! 8^)

Reply to
zxys

very interesting..the uv shift as demoed with the chequered floor in the video is neat it seems to handle semi gloss material for gloss substitution but I'm not sure that would be actually physically accurate cos the scattering would be different around the whole room not just for that material...still seems quite useful as you wait a long time for unbiased renders

are you a fryrender user then Paul?

Indigo user myself -wonder if we can get something like that swap incorporated in it... must talk to the programmer.

Reply to
neil

Hello Neil,

I have not bought it, yet. I've only demoed it and I read they were bringing more too the table. As you see on their site,.. there are other modules coming as well. So... with things as they are,.. I'm holding back for now. I did download and install indigo but have not done enuf to know much... Do you know a good link for doing indigo renders..?

..

Reply to
zxys

Well Indigo is not easy to use really even if you make a bit of a hobby following development - sorta experimental/geek like and definitely not 'SW professional friendly' in its present state Most of the folks there are just render enthusiasts although quite a few seem to have university backgrounds in it I believe I am the only SW user..and probably the most elderly by a large margin.. Given these issues you are better off with fry or Maxwell etc I think, but of course you are as welcome as anyone else to use it and for free. There have been some excellent renders done with it.

Sadly the Indigo site was hacked a while ago and we have not got back our documentation section yet. Unfortunately too the technical docs provided by the programmer himself are not user helpful. Probably the most verbose docs helpful as an introduction for a new user was the last Blender-Indigo wiki we had which I wrote - I really hope we get it back it was h-o-u-r-s of work :( It does however not cover the stuff which was added recently such as multi-lights...

At one time someone was looking to write a SW API exporter for Indigo but I haven't heard anything in quite a while about it. I think it got as far as a beta I guess that project is dead but who knows I might set myself the task and work out how to do it yet - All of the applications using Indigo use it through an exporter - be it Sketchup ( and free) , Max, Maya, Blender etc

I use Indigo via Blender and a Python script (a SW specific branch which I manifested) to make VRML ex SW easier to manage.( batch loader, material library matcher, etc etc) I have this pretty well up to date and functional for the latest Indigo

1.1.14 version although it has some quirks./limitations It would take a little bit of work yet to make it easily useable by the more adventurous members of the SW community and would need a few good length tutorials which are time consuming to make. Also I have not checked out SW09 for material changes just coming from SW05 recently.

Sorry to throw up so many obstacles if you are interested but if you are still keen I guess I could send you a copy of the script and some instructions

regards Neil

Reply to
neil