3DConnexion Driver causing 2x load time

This is kind of old news, but since we were running SW2007 untill this weekend and therefor still could use an old driver from 2006 we didnt have to deal with it till now.

All new drivers I have tried (for my SpacePilot) is cause the loadtime from a server to double.

My VAR made this case with 3DConnexion, but they replied him they never saw it before... never the less I had the exact same problems since beginning of 2007 where they updated the driver a fair bit (new look).

I was hoping others could share that they have the same problem and/or could try it out and post it here. I used DU Meter to monitor it. It dosnt create more network traffic, but the download rate is halfed.

The download is from a system where we have all our files on a server and load it from there, no PDM system.

I can reproduce it on any of our 20ish machines each and every single time.

Reply to
Ronni

Just to add the info on how I did it.

First in SW2007 I discovered that our load times suddenly started increasing.

I then tried doing some load test, and was wondering why it seemed that on the new installed computer I did the load tests on, it only took half the time loading than on my regular working machine. I started comparing them and the only thing different between them was, that I hac a SpacePilot on my regular machine. Just from unclicking the add-in I got the same normal download speed on my regular machine. I then contacted our VAR whom I asked if he still had old drivers from SpacePilots, as we didnt think it was a problem earlier. We then got an old driver and it worked the same both with the add-in turned on and off.

But the problem is now that 2008 dosnt support the old drivers... And the problem is accuring when running SW2008 now :-S

If I load with the add-in turned on compared to when its turned off the loadtime is twice as big give or take a couple of seconds.

STATS from DU Meter:

Initital load for making sure each load is compareable vs having the max number of files cached on the server.

Restart machine

Initial load without SpacePilot plugged, nor the driver installed: Load time: 00:04:08.8 Total data transfered 490,00 MB Upload 43,69 MB Maximum transfer rate 8,80mB/sec Upload 0,4mB/sec Average transfer rate 1,98 mB/sec Upload 0,18 mB/sec

Restart machine

Load with SpacePilot v3-5-11 driver installed Load time 00:08:04:04.7 Total data transferred 487,34 MB Upload 45,08 Max trans. rate 7,27 mB/sec Upl 0,45 mB/sec avg tr 1,01 mb/sec Upl 0,09 mB/sec

Restart machine

Same as above

00:08:05.0 DL: 487,97 MB UL: 44,45 MB 7,94 mB/sec 0,41 mB/sec 1023,9 kB/sec 93,8 kB/sec

Restart

Load with SpacePilot v3-4-2 driver installed

00:08:18.7 486,27 MB 45,25 MB 6,77 mB/sec 0,36 mB/sec 999,9 kB/sec 93,0 kB/sec
Reply to
Ronni

Its the same on all our machines.. who all have their wn SpacePilot.. None had the problem qwith the old driver but had when the new driver was on.

Reply to
Ronni

Hi Ronni,

We are using the 3Dconnexion Cadman devices. These devices are not supported by the new drivers and SW2008 doesn't support the old drivers, so we can not use the Cadman devices any longer with SW. There is however a workaround for us by first installing the older

2.8.2 driver. Then we install the new 3.5.x driver, but only the Solidworks plugin. This works great with the older devices in combination with Sw2008.

You can also try to work with this mix of drivers and see if this works with your configuration. Willem

Reply to
Willem1