geodesics

Hi,

Can Solidworks (or any CAD program) place a curve onto a surface such that it is the shortest length between two points on the surface?

Thanks MT

Reply to
mtattar1

Only in special cases.

One problem is that the solution can have more than one answer on a curved surface. SW doesn't like ambiguous.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
P.

I'll give it an unqualified "I think" it can be done given the right set of circumstances. Perhaps you can be a little more specific? Your use of the word "goedesics" conjures up images, but.......

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Read some of Einstein's works for a simple explanation.

On a sketch plane a line between two points is a geodesic.

On a sphere between two diametrically opposite points there are an infinite number of geodesics.

Jeff Howard wrote:

Reply to
P.

I have a complex surface (not a simple sphere) and two points on the surface. I'd like to connect them with a curve that lies on that surface so that the length of the curve is the shortest possible. A curve thru reference points simply draws a line from A to B but not on the surface. I know that projection may be needed but don't know how to assure myself its the shortest curve length. Although there can be an infinite number of solutions for some cases, I believe that in my cases there is only one. How/Can I find it without a lot of manipulation of the model?

Thanks MT

Reply to
mtattar1

Back to my first response. Not with SW. If you have a mathematical definition of the surface you might find it.

Reply to
P.

I honestly don't know anything about the subject (just find it to be an interesting question). You might try doing a web search. I did a quick search (their server is very slow this morning and I'm a little pressed for time right now) of Rhino's site and found

looked like it was promising, but don't have time to follow up on it.

... the comment on mesh alogrithms was interesting.

Good luck with it.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

For a sphere, if you create a sketch plane using the two points on the surface and the center of the sphere, the intersection curve of the sphere and sketch plane will be the shortest curve between those two points. This will not necessarily be true for a non-spherical surface.

Reply to
rmontminy

What kind of precision would be required of your final curve?

Reply to
Brian

Maybe I dont totally understand here.

If you have a noplanar surface with alot of topology and you are trying create a curve that follows the contour of the surface?

Heres what I would do

  1. Create the intial surface
  2. Create a new sketch with the location of the 2 points and draw a line connecting them
  3. Extrude the line so it intersects the first surface
  4. using your sketch tools, use the intersection curve to create the curve with the intersection of the 2 surfaces
  5. You will have a 3d sketch that contains it.

If I am totally offbase here, disregard this message ;-)

FWIW,

Mike Lamora

Brian wrote:

Reply to
Mike Lamora

Shortest distance between two points while staying on the surface. It is not necessarily a straight line projected.

Reply to
P.

What's wrong with the "sketch on surface"? If you draw a 2 point spline on a surface, it should connect the points with the shortest path. It seems like the simplest solution, or have I missed something?

matt

Mike Lamora wrote in news:3aj5c9F5rsa4iU1 @individual.net:

Reply to
matt

matt wrote in news:Xns96249B42B8DD1xxx@199.45.49.11:

Just to clarify, in 3D sketch there is a function called Spline on Surface. This is new with sw05.

Reply to
matt

It appears to create a curve that takes the shortest path sometimes. It is subject to singularities or forbbiden zones and when near them will act funny. I will try to post some of the pathology later.

Reply to
P.

Haven't seen the capability in Solidworks for geodesoics that say Catia has, in Catia you can even make a constant offset to a curve on a surface. as well as the shortest connection between 2 points on a surface.

Reply to
pevans