getting a "clean" re-install - how do you do it?

I have permanently lost my drawing toolbar.

So, I re-installed. I used windows un-install, then manually removed anything that was left.

In the past, this always fixed errors like this.

I am not getting a "clean" re-install, however. My part,drawing, and assembly templates are still present after re-installing.

That, and my drawing toolbar still isn't there.

(I've gotten around it by adding the buttons I need to a different toolbar - it works, but it's a workaround).

Does solidworks write things in place other than the install directory, and under: common files\solidworks?

So how to you get a perfectly clean re-install?

Reply to
james

Doing a "clean" install requires you to remove any solidworks info from the registry. Solidworks and most any other windows programs are not smart enough to do this on their own which sucks big time. If they put it there to begin with, they should remove it when you ask them to.

Reply to
Jo

Yes, the Windows Registry. And the "common files" area.

Well, you could reformat your hard drive, but that's drastic. Still, I tend to do that every 9-12 months just to get the junk out of there. Windows is a "consumer grade" os, and we try to run "industrial strength" software on it. Not a good combination.

The "easiest" way is to delete the SolidWorks entries in the registry. The registry is kind of a dangerous thing to mess with if you're reckless or clumsy, but if you're careful you'll be ok. In fact, doing this you could probably avoid reinstalling altogether.

Make sure SW is not running when you do this. In fact, everything else should be shut down as well.

Start > Run > regedit > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks. Delete it.

Restart SW, and you'll find that you're back to factory defaults.

Toolbox files are cleverly hidden at C:\Program Files\Common Files\ SolidWorks Data.

Templates are at C:\Program Files\SolidWorks\Data\Templates. If you have special ones you use, I recommend a library location somewhere else on your hard drive, and then use Tools, Options, File Locations to direct SW to them.

Reply to
matt

Deleting the solidworks info from the registry did it.

I didn't even have to re-insall.

Thank you very much! You made my day!

Reply to
james

In addition, Matt is probably one of the most generous SolidWorks users who puts up much of his hints and tips on his website for everyone.

His info is worth a good read and study.

After a year and a half without any significant maintenance on my Dell M60 laptop (no Internet use), its time for serious preventive maintenance. I reread my notes from this group and Matt's notes. Much appreciated to all who contributed, I must honestly say. I couldn't have done it as easily without you.

I am now about 10 hours into a new faster hard drive and install of WinXP w/SP2. There must be nearly 2 dozen updaters from Dell (w/requisite sets of sometimes poorly illogical dialog boxes, including a forced Restart with almost all of them) with little comment on how needed they are, though some are obvious, like trackpad and nVidia drivers.

By the time I'm through (24 hours including all the downloads) with key appl. installs and then paring down the uneeded services to get the speed up and stability back in all things. It ought to be ready for SWks 2005 at that time.

Then finally I'm going to have to duplicate that drive's contents (one way or two) so I don't have to do that again in case of some massive glitch.

Bo

james wrote:

Reply to
Bo