NXN Alienbrain and Solidworks

Anybody know anything about the integration of these two. My company didnt want to use PDM stating it did not work with all their file types (which is probably a bunch of bull since they are all windows based). Now If I change partnumbers within Alienbrain it loses its link from the drawing to the Solid part. I knew this was a mistake from the beginning. Alienbrain is not Solidworks friendly at all unless there is some kind of other interface we need to buy. Can anyone shed some light ion this. They were supposed to make our job easier as far as document comtrol and now we have to go thru many more steps to achieve the same results. I have hadyears of experience with PDM .Also....I called my VAR today to tell them we dont use the PDM anymore so I just want the Solidworks Office with no PDM. You cannot get it like that. You either get regular Solidworks with no Toolbox or PDM...or you get the offoce Pro with Toolbox and PDM. What an insane move that is. We need the toolbox, but apparently not the PDM and you cannot buy it like that anymore. Please help on this Alienbrain thing. This is so bad...Im lookng for another job along with another engineer who has the same PDM experience. I think we really got screwed in this whole deal. ALienbrain may be fine for other applications, but does not intergrate with Solidworks well at all unless we are totally stupid and dont know what we are doing. I have only 7 years experience. Maybe thats the problem??? Pleaase help before I go postal...Thanks....JAKE

Reply to
www.littlemanateesound.com

Jake,

All I can offer is moral support.....

Your company bet on the wrong horse and is now in the process of flogging it to death.

There is a distinct difference between Document Managers and Product Data Managment. PDMs are almost always CAD oriented while DMs are file oriented. It is a relatively straight forward process to adapt PDM systems to work with other file types. It is impossible for DM systems to work with parametric modelers due to the inter-relationships of files and their configurations.

AlienBrain is a DM system.No amount of wishfull thinking is going to change this fact. Several simple tests should have verified this.....

Man.... I feel for you....

Good luck

Len

Reply to
lmar

Jake, I sympathise - I used to work for an engineering company that was part of a large chemical company. We had to use the "company standard" MRP system - It worked OK - except the BOM was the Formula and the parts/sub assys were the Ingredients.

Good Luck,

Kev

Reply to
awtltd